Flywheel ?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudbogginsouthernboy

Reaction score
Hey guys I want t know what the flywheel does and what the flywheel key or pin whatever you call it does. How do the 2 together work and what will it to if the pin is sheered? How will the quadat and how can it damage thequadif tryed to start?

The flywheel does a couple things. It works together with your stator to make a charging system.
It also works with the pickup coil to let the CDI know when to tell the ignition coil to fire the sparkplug.
The flywheel key prevents the flywheel from spinning on your crankshaft. It keeps the two moving as one piece.
If the key sheers the flywheel will spin on the shaft preventing proper timing.
It can also prevent the starter from spinning the engine due to the starter clutch being mounted to the flywheel.

Mine sheered and just backfires is that something it could cause too? My quad back fired loud a couple time and then the backfires got quiter is there any way I could break anything in the head?

Remove the flywheel again and set the key in the slot. Line up the slots on tne flywheel and the key. Sometimes it will pop out, but just keep trying til you get it slid on and the flywheel and crank move together. It's easy, you can do it no problem.

hey guys ive been trying to put the key in and it wont slide and lock in place can you guys give me step by step on how to do it?

Put the key in the crank slot, line up the flywheel slot and slide it on. Might take a few tries.

like it slids behind the splins but when you put the case back on the magnetics pulls it out.

Once you get the key in and flywheel skid on
Take your crank bolt and bushing and snug them against the flywheel to seat it. You don't have to get real crazy with it,
Then remove bolt and bushing and install stator cover.

Is the bushing the ting when you take the plastic cover off on the stator case the slides on the splines?

Back