flywheel...

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorkid

Reaction score
Alright, in the very near future im going to lighten my flywheel. Am i going to need a puller to get it off? And when i put it back on, do the bolts have to be torqued to a specific number?

Thanks

lol...ive been busy with other things. Well, not really i just havent got bored enough to mess with it. And i cant find a puller.

You will need a puller to get it off. They sell em on ebay for like $35, or haul it to a shop and they will probably charge at least half that. Don't know the torque for the bolt that holds the boss on the flywheel though, if you find out let me know. I don't see it listed in my Haynes manual.

how much is it gonna cost you to get your flywheel lightened? that is something that i'm planning on doing when i do my motor over the winter. duncan racing charges 75 for flywheel modification. i'm assuming that consists of lightening it.

you can get a puller from oriley for like 15-20 bucks, just draw the pattern of the small holes and bring it ot them

what exactly does lightening the flywheel do? give it more low end snap? Im putting a cam and kibblewhite valve spring kit in this winter, so i might just get the lighter flywheel too. if its worth the extra money.

what exactly does lightening the flywheel do? give it more low end snap? Im putting a cam and kibblewhite valve spring kit in this winter, so i might just get the lighter flywheel too. if its worth the extra money.

Techinically your both wrong.

It takes away nearly all your bottom end, it allows the motor to rev into its power, it should only be used with a good top end cam. Basically it makes your motor useless for bottom end power but you will be able to turn some serious rpm's really fast.

IMO a good mod id like to do soon, but not for your average motor, nor average rider, it will need to be run a certain way to keep it from stalling and etc.

Adding weight:
Adding weight increases inertia, which reduces the quad's tendency to stall at low speeds.
In no way is top speed affected - the heavier flywheel just smoothes out power delivery
The machine will hook up better in soft terrain, and pull stronger.
Riding with a heavier flywheel will reduce arm pump and prolong the onset of fatigue.
A balanced flywheel will reduce vibration.

Removing weight:
Removing weight decreases inertia, which increases throttle response - more snap!
Sand sucks power away from a quad, increasing throttle response is a good thing.
A balanced flywheel will reduce vibration..

That is how different flywheel weights will effect the ride and characteristics of your quad. That stuff was taken from here http://www.trailtech.net/atv_flywheels_1.htm.
Check them out, eventhough they don't have too much for warriors, they still have some good information on there.
~Bill

It takes away nearly all your bottom end, it allows the motor to rev into its power, it should only be used with a good top end cam. Basically it makes your motor useless for bottom end power but you will be able to turn some serious rpm's really fast.

IMO a good mod id like to do soon, but not for your average motor, nor average rider, it will need to be run a certain way to keep it from stalling and etc.

Yea, i have the stock cam and valve springs. So floating valves will probably be an often occurance. But i barely ever ride trails. Im still looking into some flat track, so it will be good for that. But what really made me want to do it was last weekend. I was drag racing my friends predator (and getting my ass handed to me). But those things have like an 8k rpm rev limiter, so i would catch him when he would hit that limiter. So i figure if i get rid of some of that rotating weight, i can accelerate a little faster and wont lose as bad. And it will sound a **** load cooler when i rev it, lol.

But im getting it done for $35 (for whoever asked me). The guy owns a machine shop and sponsors my brothers racecar. So he is cutting me a hell of a deal!

how much is it gonna cost you to get your flywheel lightened? that is something that i'm planning on doing when i do my motor over the winter. duncan racing charges 75 for flywheel modification. i'm assuming that consists of lightening it.
yes it is lightening, taken from there pricing guide..

MS-5000 Flywheel Lightening (all models) ...................................................................... 75.00

[quote:tlhga4e2]what exactly does lightening the flywheel do? give it more low end snap? Im putting a cam and kibblewhite valve spring kit in this winter, so i might just get the lighter flywheel too. if its worth the extra money.

IMO a good mod id like to do soon, but not for your average motor, nor average rider, it will need to be run a certain way to keep it from stalling and etc.[/quote:tlhga4e2]

Wrong... A lightened flywheel will not take away your bottom end - just your ability to "crawl" slowly over **** with out stalling/feathering the clutch a bit. If you are on the gas then your Bottom through Top has lightning throttle response and she builds revs much easier.

The only time I ever notice my -6 oz flywheel to have a negative effect on the YFZ is when im at a almost idle put-put rolling along speed.

So other then that little downfall, Death, you like the mod? I want to lighten the **** out of mine, cuz i never am putt-putting around...

So other then that little downfall, Death, you like the mod? I want to lighten the **** out of mine, cuz i never am putt-putting around...

Theres a fine line to be worked with there, you can only take so much off before it starts hurting you.

everything also needs to work together so you better make sure the guy knows what he is doing.

[quote:hlrsxphu]So other then that little downfall, Death, you like the mod? I want to lighten the **** out of mine, cuz i never am putt-putting around...

Theres a fine line to be worked with there, you can only take so much off before it starts hurting you.

everything also needs to work together so you better make sure the guy knows what he is doing.[/quote:hlrsxphu]

Agreed. You dont want to take off to much weight - also make sure IT IS BALANCED!!! I will say that the -6 oz flywheel on average gives me a 2 quad length advantage out of the hole... vs. a YFZ with a stock weight flywheel.

A lightend fly wheel will be great for accelerating out the turns, ala NASCAR. A heavy flywheel is good in drag racing, for comming off the line.

Yea, the guy has been doing motors (all kinds) for about 22 years. His son has a crf450 with like 60 some hp and he did the work on it. So i would hope he knows what he is doing, haha. So then a cam and Ti. valve springs would be a nice accessory...to keep from floating valves. lol, i dont really know what kind of motor i want to build though. If i want a torque monster, or a motor that pulls on the top end...But i know i want to eliminate as much rotating weight as possible. Does anyone know what else i can lighten? Im sure i could have it internally ballanced, but that would be a bitch. Any other ideas are welcome...

Latest posts

Back