First oil change after rebuild

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave85zxt

Reaction score
Yesterday, I changed my oil for the first time since my rebuild late last year. I couldn't beleive how many aluminum shavings were in the filter. The filter was so clogged that the element was colapsing. I am really glad that I changed the oil. This was only after 5 hours of light to medium use. I think I am going to change the oil again in another 5 hours or less. I am certainly glad I didn't wait until 10 hours like i was thinking! So for all of you that are in a break in period, change the oil sooner rather than later. In hindsight I think I should have changed the oil after 2-3 hours of use.

If there was that much aluminum in there from the break in you did something wrong or theres another problem somewhere. I changed my oil after 2 weekend break in rides probly 6-8 hrs each ride and there was a little but no where near enough to colapse the filter ????

I had the cylinder bored out and put in a new piston. There will be a good deal of particles released from the break in of the cylinder, rings and piston. Also, I had to rebuild after my rod bearing failed. The failure left a ton of aluminum and steel shavings in the motor. Although I completely disassembled motor and spent hours cleaning it, I am sure that I didn't get all of the crap out of all of the little oil passages and such.

That makes more sense. I just went .30 over and new piston and rings to match. I didnt notice that many shavings at my first oil change but there were some. when the cylinder breaks in the rings shouldnt really lose material but more or less conform to the new cylinder. Im no expert but Id say you didnt get all the shavings out the first time. Keep checkin the oil and make sure there all out or youl be back where you started in the first place.

Back