First Gen Club

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I need to heli-coil an exhaust stud bolt but is to cold outside for that and i havent gotten the Heli-coil stuff yet lol

Hey guys.. I'v been doing some thinking about shock length? What would be the absolute "maximum" length I could use on the front of my 1st gen before I would start having problems.. I'm not talking about just a banshee shock or anything. Guys keep say'n that a long shock will wreck the frontend.. Thats bullshit!!
Setup properly, the worst thing that'll happen is you'll pop an upper ball joint... I think most people are scared to try a longer shock, cause everyone says not to.

So there...
Discuss. lol

Hey guys.. I'v been doing some thinking about shock length? What would be the absolute "maximum" length I could use on the front of my 1st gen before I would start having problems.. I'm not talking about just a banshee shock or anything. Guys keep say'n that a long shock will wreck the frontend.. Thats bullshit!!
Setup properly, the worst thing that'll happen is you'll pop an upper ball joint... I think most people are scared to try a longer shock, cause everyone says not to.

So there...
Discuss. lol

It's not good to have the joints constantly bottoming, you want the shock to limit your travel. Constantly taking the joints to their max travel will cause premature wear on them

It's not good to have the joints constantly bottoming, you want the shock to limit your travel. Constantly taking the joints to their max travel will cause premature wear on them
Yah so??
If you want the extra travel you have to expect stuff will wear out.. I actually just wanted the extra ground clearance.. I dunno anymore? I'm thinking about getting out of the sport.. I'm sick of working on my junk.

I'm running second gen shocks and when I take me off I get another inch and a half of travel before bottom out. You might be okay running 15" shocks?

head gasket

I recently had my head off and after i put it back on my oil isnt getting to the head... I didnt replace the head gasket (i know i shouldve). When i put the old gasket back on im thinking it didnt seal around the oil port. If air is getting iton that port will it make my oil flow stop???? Theres absolutely no oil in the top end.

Pull spark plug to make it easier to turn it over Use the pull start, if you still have it. I ALWAYS pour half a quart of oil into the head before I start a fresh rebuild, or dry head. Just leave the exhaust rocker cover on, remove the intake cover, and pour away. Did you crack open the oil pressure inspection bolt when it was running?

Just wanted to give an a arm update. Now that I have the 2nd gen parts bike, I took some measurements from center of mount tube to center of mount tube.

1st gen uppers C-C: 9.25"
2nd gen uppers: 8.5"

For the life of me, I cannot remember what the lower's numbers were. But, there is only a half inch difference if I remember correctly. So, Weston's a arm set up wil work. Uppers will be a hair right, but, will fit.

Back