figured I'd run this past you guys too, Raptor 700 issue.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'00 WO-YA!

Reaction score
Shenandoah Valley, between the Blue Ridge mountain
Hey guys, here's what I have going on. Today I got the bike out for the 1st time in a couple of months. Took it up the road and it ran ok for a few seconds then got into this bucking, jerking, all around running like **** nonsense. I looked up a few things and stayed thinking about a possible overcharge problem. Well, I can turn the headlights on and instantly it's a new bike. Rectifier??

sounds like the most logical culprit
is it hot to the touch when this happens?

I'm going to bring my volt meter home from work tomorrow just to see what it's doing but it's either overcharging and the headlights allow some of the energy to escape or the headlights are triggering a charge when it's not charging. Idk which yet.

I'm thinking undercharging. It's runnin off of the battery primarily, and when it drains down low enough, it runs like ****. Turn the lights on, and it's charging (for some reason) at the optimum output. Kinda like the yfz, how the battery only charges with the lights on.

It must be overcharge issue, because the lighting side won't output enough to run the lights without flickering without the battery so it must be overchageinh

Well, if it is overcharging that bad, the battery would likely start to cook. So... did it?

See, I'm thinking along the lines of somesort of undercharging issue. Only because I can see it running like **** if it is running off the battery and not the charging system, since it is an efi bike. If it were carbed, it'd probably run fine, as they usually do when they have a dead battery. Just so long as there is battery to complete the circuit. Or so I've found. Why it would run better once the lights are on with an undercharging issue, idk.

Agreed pat but if it were under charging it would die outright. The lighting church is separate the rest of the electronic system. So its gotta be overcharging or going into limp mode either way I would check the rectifier before it starts frying expensive electronics.

Well, it would run untill it killed the battery completely. But, now that Weston has made more sense of the lighting circuit, it is probably going to be the reg/rect either way. That is the only thing that controls the charging system output.

It seems that these things have issues with a wiring harness going to the rectifier that's located under the right fender. They have a reputation for chafing through and causing irratic problems. Going to dog into this as soon as I get the chance. Weston, you might want to check the one youhave too, this seems to be a problem that all 700's have.

Latest posts

Back