Few engine questions

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floridaredneck

Reaction score
First what is a good top end gasket/seal kit for a good price?

Also how do I replace the timing chain guide (tensioner side), do I have to take the whole engine apart of just remove the side of the crank case?

floridaredneck said:
First what is a good top end gasket/seal kit for a good price?

Also how do I replace the timing chain guide (tensioner side), do I have to take the whole engine apart of just remove the side of the crank case?
I use Cometic gaskets all the time. To replace the tensioner side slider, you have to remove the flywheel rotor, and it should be enough to let fall and pullit out from the bottom.

Basically almost any gasket will do, I've heard of quite a few people running 12 to 1 on cheap gaskets. As long as you break the motor in good before going to crazy, and have the surfaces cleaned up real well you shouldn't have a problem with any of them. Remember many people run NOS on stock gaskets, that raises the cylinder pressure quite a bit. I thought the Namura kit was excellent for $25, and it was stuck on there like a motherbitch compared to the cometic gasket I ran. I'm just using that kit from now on. As a bonus it comes with replacement orings for everything on the head, a new exhaust gasket, new valve seals, you name it. The cometic will run the same for just the two gaskets.

Athena make some quality gasket for the right price a complete gasket set is like 60$ and that includes everything : valves seals,exhaust gasket every o-ring,brass washer for the cylinder head, timing chain tensioner.....everything

I went ahead and bought a Moose gasket kit. I bought one for my rancher and it have Every gaskets and I still have 2 left over lol.

Also do i have to have a flywheel puller to get the flywheel off or is their some way I can use a bearing puller?

Boxhead said:
Basically almost any gasket will do, I've heard of quite a few people running 12 to 1 on cheap gaskets. As long as you break the motor in good before going to crazy, and have the surfaces cleaned up real well you shouldn't have a problem with any of them. Remember many people run NOS on stock gaskets, that raises the cylinder pressure quite a bit. I thought the Namura kit was excellent for $25, and it was stuck on there like a motherbitch compared to the cometic gasket I ran. I'm just using that kit from now on. As a bonus it comes with replacement orings for everything on the head, a new exhaust gasket, new valve seals, you name it. The cometic will run the same for just the two gaskets.
The stock gaskets used on the warrior are actually very good quality and will hold up to what ever you do to the engine. You can't go any more then .040" bore with the head gasket though or any bigger with the sleeve base gasket. Some people do but I don't recomend it as you don't have .010" of clearance around the bore of the gasket then thus causing some problems.
Cometic custom gaskets IMO are the best out there. They will make what ever you want thickness with in reason and will make them out of what ever materal you want. You get what you pay for, IMO.

http://yfm350.proboards31.com/index.cgi?board=tutorials&action=display&thread=4324

yea go to a deal or there on ebay alot acually...and you can take it off without the puller if your lucky but there is a technique to do it that risks messing something else out....i wouldnt do it unless you know what your doing but it involves a hammer and something to pry with and they sometimes pop out but i would just suck it up and buy the puller, i think mine was like 55 bucks or something

91warrior357 said:
yea go to a deal or there on ebay alot acually...and you can take it off without the puller if your lucky but there is a technique to do it that risks messing something else out....i wouldnt do it unless you know what your doing but it involves a hammer and something to pry with and they sometimes pop out but i would just suck it up and buy the puller, i think mine was like 55 bucks or something

I'd like to see this "technique." IMO the only thing your going to do there is bend the crank. If you know what your doing then you would use the correct tool for the job. Dennis kirk has them.

Wow you spent 55 bucks on a fly wheel puller yo ass got jacked!

I'm looking at one for like $35, yeh I'm going to have to break down and get me one.

floridaredneck said:
Wow you spent 55 bucks on a fly wheel puller yo ass got jacked!

I'm looking at one for like $35, yeh I'm going to have to break down and get me one.

You have to consider tool quality as well as price. It's like the difference between going to Wally-World and buying a set of **** wrenches for a couple of dollars, or coughing up the cash for a set of mack, snap-on, etc....... Cheap tools have a bad tendency of messing things up and/or breaking themselves.

On the other hand if you only plan on using a tool once or twice in it's lifetime almost anything can suffice.

I love to get tools for cheap, but I just absolutely HATE a cheaply made tool.

Back