Extended Swinger

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorkustom

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do a complete rebuild on my Warrior and am trying to feel out the last details. What are the pros and cons of putting on an extended swing arm on? Besides the obvious of bigger turning radius and harder to do wheelies.

Does anybody have one on there warrior? Can I see some pics?

No idea how it is for a warrior. But I have a +1.75 or +.75, one of the two lol, entended lonestar swing-arm on my z400 and its great. Really helps in cornering and removes alot of weight.

Keep in mind alot of the bigger sport quads have 2-3 inches more wheelbase so its not like adding 2" to a Warrior/raptor is extreme or unreasonable. If I ever need to replace my swingarm Im definately going +2 since my Raptor feels small and choppy compared to other quads Ive ridden.

[quote:cm1tyw76]your going to lose some traction to the rear wheels.
ok that i dont understand[/quote:cm1tyw76]

I guess if the swinger is longer it'll extend further past the chassis, and if I'm thinking correctly, will cause the weight to sit closer to the chassis end of the swinger, shifting more weight forward. I really doubt it'll make a noticeable difference unless you go crazy with the length though.

yeah I got thinking about it and came to the conclusion that you are taking more weight off the axle by placing it farther back and that is why you would loose traction but I have road many 400ex's with extended swingers and you cant even tell the difference in traction

If an long swinger took that much traction away drag bikes would have short swingers, and just have wheelie bars.
No matter the length of the swinger the pressure/weight would be applied at the point on the swinger, unless it changes where the shock mounts, so there couldn't be too much of a difference traction wise if any at all. It would have to have same amount of weight on the wheels wouldn't it? No matter how long the swinger is, it still has the same amount of weight on it. Sitting further back just puts more weight over the shock and swingarm mount to make traction. When hill climbing it should make more traction due to increased leverage on the back wheels; because it takes more force to flip the quad backwards with the longer swinger. This should result in more down force on the back tires while hill climbing (more leverage).

This stuff sounds right in my head, but that don't really mean much.
Any physicists on this board who could tell for sure what would happen with an longer swinger, perhaps give a formula for approximating differences in traction?

Back