Exhaust Trouble, Leak

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockgrenade

Reaction score
I tried pulling my stock slip on to replace with my white bros.. I couldn't get the slip off to come off, and i loosened everything needed.. Also noticed where it connects that there is like a "mesh"? Not sure what that is. I've changed out pipes before and some have been a little tricky, but this wont just wont come off.. And when i put it all back together and start it up, guess where it leaks?? So, wtf?

Have someone hold the front pipe to keep it steady while you pull the slip-on as you twist alittle back and forth and if that dosent do it spray the slipjoint with some BPBaster and then use a rubber malet and hit the backside of the muffler or use a block of wood against the rear of the muffler and hit the wood with a hammer..but make sure you brace the front pipe you dont want to brake the studs to the head!!!!

DSCF0007_zpse2618ab9.jpg

I really want to say someone stuffed some form of mesh to fix a screw-up in the past, but nothing works. Hammers don't budge it. Heat doesn't help. Lube won't make a difference. This blows.. and now it leaks and I can't at least make it go back to the way it was before...

The mesh like stuff is the factory seal, kinda looks like steel wool. If you have the factory muffler off you will have to scrape all the old seal off both pipes. I used brass wool to wrap the head pipe then slip the muffler over it. You nay have to open the muffler pipe a bit where its split. Once you get it on the header pipe push the brass wool in between the pipes (if it came out while replacing the muffler) tighten the clamp an you should be good.

i would try an acedaline torch and heat it up till its red hot and/or melting (lol) and pull it off! (while its hot!)

Last edited:
I would try a little penetrating oil man looks like its rusted in there pretty good that should break it up enough to get her out.

When someone says "when i put it back together" that usually means it was apart, dude. As for the exhaust, spray with penetrating oil like ms warrior said, take a thin chisel and tap under the muffler side where the pipe is split. Tap the chisel or small flat screwdriver under each split section to separate it from the header pipe. You should be able to twist it off after that. If your replacing and dont care about damaging the factory pipe just cut through the muffler pipe at the back of the split. Cutting it off is the quickest an easiest but your gonna trash the original muffler side connector

Back