Exhaust system with no intake?????

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaharider

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I'm new to the forums and i just picked up a 95 Warrior for $600. I have so far put a lot of money into getting it running but i had a question about the jetting as well as the exhaust/intake. The guy i bought it from put a DG exhaust on but he never put an aftermarket intake on it and did not jet it. So i took the carb off and cleaned it all out and put a 150 main jet and 45 pilot but it ran too rich. Would a 147.5 main jet fix my jetting issues? Also does the exhaust even do anything if the intake is stock.

it will only change it a slight bit you should have did a plug chop first with the stock jetting it might not even of needed to be jetted but yes a 147.5 will help lean it out if it's too rich right now
and do you mean head pipe instead of intake? the intake is between the carb and head the only way you would have to change that is if you were planning on running a different carb and the stock head pipe has plenty of flow so don't worry about that

I think he means air filter Ed. It probably has a stock air filter and that's what he's saying. The previous owner just put a DG slip on

If your gonna jet the carb; you def should upgrade & change your air filter to a K&N or something. I have a UNI. But with a stock air box I'd go K&N

I tried posting this last Night but phone was being a POS, with just a slip on exhaust I usually don't see much need for a jet change, it's when you combine it with a good breathing intake/filter system that it becomes necessary. Sure, the exhaust will breathe better but it's only expelling what the intake is limited to bringing in. When that changes you have a system with less limit I the intake and exhaust therefore causing a need for additional fuel.

Sorry for being so long to reply. Been busy getting the quad ready for this past weekend. Well i got it running good with the 147.5 main and it ran great till we got onto the trails and i really started pushing her. The first day we put 85 miles on and she burnt a little oil but nothing major, we had the family all out so it wasn't pushed that hard but it was running hot. The next day on Saturday i went out with my cousin who has a 400ex and in one hour, about 20 miles, i burned 2 quarts of oil and had a little fire in my exhaust pipe. We were racing and really pushing our quads threw the mud and fast quick corners. Pulled the oil plug and saw metal filings in the oil. Did a compression test and it was very poor so the rings are shot...

So i'm at the point where i want to replace the piston and rings and do a valve job. I've been looking at different piston kits. I've read that JE and Wiesco are great pistons but I've also heard that Wiesco has problems with cold seizing. I'm also looking at Namura and Pro-x. I've heard that namura are close to a stock piston but have read that a lot of people bash them on quality. Budget is a concern since i'm already way over my budget but i also don't want to have poor quality parts. Does anybody have any info on what piston kit i should go with? I use it just for riding the dusty north trails of wisconsin which is mostly dirt, and gravel but i also go to the pipeline near Breed, WI and they got some dunes and mud pits. I barely ever get to top speed so i would like to have more low end to mid range power.

Yea unfortunately you got to rebuild the top end. You probably gave that old 95' all she had that first day. I had to do the same thing to my 95. May as well go stage 1. Costs about the same as just rebuilding stock. Check out my build thread...

I like wiseco. Good for budget builds. Love mine but I've never tried any thing else

Namura pistons are good if you don't pound on them consistently they are cast after all. I've ran je and wiseco, I prefer je due to they are lighter.

If your concerned about budget get a namura

So i took apart the motor today and the rings and piston looked good but the cylinder had some deep scratches and some lines running straight up and down the cylinder with browning on the top part. So i need to hone out the cylinder and possibly bore it. The valves had a lot of black soot on it and really needs to be clean. Where should i look to get some new valves at a good price? Also if i hone out the cylinder what should i do to make the piston fit? Would the Wiseco piston still work after it's honed?

Take the jug and piston to a shop have them bore and hone it, bring it back after that, wash it out, and oil the cylinder, install rings and piston, and assemble.

I planned on doing the valve seals just because I don't think they have ever been done and if I'm already replacing the piston and rings I figured I'd replace that. But would I need to do anything else to the valves besides replace the seals or is there more to it?

Ok. So far I've ordered a Wiseco piston kit with the standard bore. I had it honed today and they got all the scratches out without having to bore it. I bought the complete top and bottom gasket kit. I want to open up the bottom and clean that all out and make sure everything is ok because there was a lot of metal in the oil. I also got a Hot Cams stage 1 cam, and a YZ250 shift lever. I finally got around to putting the 01 Raptor 660 shock on as well. Is there anything else that i should do while the motor is apart because i really don't want to take it all apart again.

if the tensioner is out most of the way it's time to replace the timing chain
take the 12mm bolt out with the spring and then loosen the 2 8mm bolts and pull the tensioner if the plunger is out close to all the way it's time

Back