Engine Overheat

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnguyen85

Reaction score
I recently installed the scotts oil filter, and i'm not sure if i'm just concentrating to hard on it but it seems like the engine is running hotter than normal. I looked at the by pass valve and it is a little bitty valve less than half the size of the factory filter's by pass valve.

The weather is warmer than usual while riding and 15 minutes into the ride it feels like it runs hotter. I am still breaking the motor in and the longest i ever rode it was for about an 1hour in the winter time and ever since that it has been like for 30mins to 45mins at a time.

How do you all know if your engine is overheating, and anyone with the scotts oil filter feel that the filter may restrict to much oil flow?

simple way to see if you have enough oil flow is to check the port in the head and back it out a little bit. Oil should come out pretty fast.

Let's see.. on the top back side of the engine on the cylinder head.. it be on the other side of the timing chain. You'll see it because it has a copper washer and phillups screw driver head. Small bolt that takes 8mm.
This should be done every time you change your oil or when you rebuild you engine or top end.. why because you want to make sure the engine has got proper oil pressure to the top end.

I have the Scott's filter, and never really had a problem with overheating. I need to check my oil flow again, but never really had a problem. Warrior motor is feels just hot to begin with being an air-cooled design.

Thanx guys. I LOVE this site before i found this, i been searching online, and had a hard time gettting the right answer. but now i don't feel stupid for asking these questions and if i'm in doubt of someone's opinion, some one usually posts another opinion....... THANX ALL

Back