eletrical help needed

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrior stu

Reaction score
Okay so I just got done with a full rebuild on the motor and chassis the whole thing. I got up and running. Ran rough a bit card need cleaned got plans do that problem is that I got to the trail and she ran for little bit but cut off spark. I do not have a battery at the time that was working the wiring harness has been rebuilt several different times by my own hands and several by the previous owner. So I'm trying to figure out is where should I start first of all very mechanically inclined person I can figure things out I just need a good starting point an understanding of how the CD I box and stater system actually work. I work on automobiles as a technician so I can figure this out pretty well I just need a little help on a starting location no spark try pop starting it several times I took apart the kill switch no problems there motor turned over fine the clutch worked properly to hear the motor pumping sounded kind like it had compression however was not puffing not completely not sure if that would indicate the new pistol rings I just put in actually fried hope not only road literally probably 1015 minutes total. Other question I have is how do I determine whether or not my top end is getting oil and is there a oil check bolt on the head and do I need the motor running to check it.

Any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated I really enjoyed my quad and I look forward to hearing from you thank you and have a good day.

Well first off change your spark plug, then if that doesn't work test your pickup coil and stator, and your main coil to make sure they are within spec (specs can be found by searching) if they are above or below spec, replace if needed. I doubt the rings are bad, but you can do a compression test to be sure. Make sure your timing is in spec too. To check if the top end is getting oil just open up your exhaust valve cover. It should not be running.

thank you i will be trying that this weekend the plug was new after the rebiled i putt a new one in and ill check the oil thing to thank you ill give an up date wen i have one

One other thing? The valves were set to .006 on both the intake and exhaust I found out that it had a oversized piston in it could not tell if it had a aftermarket cam are there different valve clearances for an aftermarket cam I readjusted the valves to the stock settings according to the manual thank you have a good night.

Along with everything thats been siad already your gonna wanna check all the grounds. I had one on my old 98 that was broke right after a top end rebuild and I didnt know. It was a smaller gauge wire that comes off the negative battery wire. After about a foot it goes into a bullet connector, which in my case is where it broke. That particular ground is the one that goes up to the star ringed ground that is on one of the bolts that hold the ignition coil down. When I fixed mine it got good spark agian and fired right up!

cool thank you both would the valve be .006 on both and how would i be able to teal if its a hot cam or watever the othere guy pout it thank you have a good day.

it is an aftermarket cam there is no 1yu on it but there are no othere marks does this mean i neet to set the gap to .006 on both valves like it was wen i disesembeled it?

got it fixed turend out to be a broken wier and the cam bolt came loose but its running like a bat out of hell thank you all

Back