Electrical.... Help please

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankenstein's-warrior

Reaction score
Been in and out of the forums quite a bit lately. Been trying to convert my 88 warrior to a 91. It was mashed together with random parts so wanted to switch to actually get it running again and it's been issue after issue and at this point, it's the same issue with no clear answer or reason. I keep having no spark. I've replaced literally everything besides the voltage regulator and the reverse switch. Handlebar switch, coil, harness, stator, spark plug, starter solenoid, cdi are all brand new. Waiting on new relays as well. I just keep getting no spark. At this point I just swapped a brand new 91 harness and I now have no reverse light. I also have the green/black from that reverse light which goes nowhere right above the chain sprocket on the motor. Not sure where it's suppose to go since I grounded it out and it just stayed on. If I put it in reverse it would go out. Some said to take the green/white and ground it out but it's got voltage running through and kills all lights and shorts out if I tried that (figured out it was positive after doing that.) On my 88 harness I bought new, I tried it and it didn't change anything. Just not really sure what can be causing this as my neutral light work like it should. It didn't when I first put the harness on but since 91 goes down to only 2 relays I used the 3rd and the neutral light worked like it should. I also have a ground with a bullet style I believe male end connector. Slips into something else. Not sure where that went either so I ran it to ground on the chassis. It seems like it's a safety or something isn't right. Any help is appreciated as I've been dumping money into this pointlessly and I've been through every diagram I can find. Haven't found a good 91 diagram and don't feel like checking out 60 bucks for a clymer when most everything in there is available online. I feel like it's something stupid and that I'm actually very close to getting it running but I just feel so far away. I also seem to have a issue now where my clutch is not working. I pull it in, in gear and the wheels stay locked and don't free themselves. This atv used to run and ride awhile ago before I screwed up the janky wiring from previous owner so I know everything used to work. Like I said any help is appreciated and I'd really appreciate some help on this. I've posted a few threads with no answers so hoping this will get some views. Thank you 🙏😔

Hopefully this gives some insight, the problem could be in the neutral/reverse or clutch switch sections of the wiring. Got pictures of the plugs that dont seem to connect anywhere? Might be able to cross reference my machine tomorrow and get you pointed the right direction.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231111-181924_Ecosia.jpg
    Screenshot_20231111-181924_Ecosia.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 3
Black is loomed together with solenoid lines and red/white to fuse
Green/black splits out with the three prong plug white wires and sky blue. I do know going straight to ground with green/black keeps reverse light on as it looks to run straight to ground side of light. Also I was checking voltages on my orange wire. Constantly getting continuity to ground which tells me safety somewhere. I could've swore I had gotten spark voltage at one point just testing orange voltage. Plugged into coil and then got nothing afterwards. Also I get I think it was either .05 or .5 volts on orange wire but as soon as I plug it into the coil it goes to 0 and then reads continuity to ground. I swear I seen what seemed to be spark readings through the multimeter by it spiking up to OL reading rapidly. Does that just when pulses of current going through. Not sure if other multimeters do the same. I'm just genuinely stumped at this point since the only things left to replace are the relays, voltage regulator and the reverse lever if that even matters on years. I read unplugging the regulator should allow the ATV to start if it was bad. Unplugged or plugged in I get the same results and same readings on my multimeter. Have wondered if that's actually bad that they're the same. Not sure.

Attachments

• 16997529194222856787378101192938.jpg
    16997529194222856787378101192938.jpg
    805.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 16997529390027971569156648159464.jpg
    16997529390027971569156648159464.jpg
    777.2 KB · Views: 0
Also the diagram you sent me seems to be of a newer model. My electrical is a 91 year and I believe that is the 96+ since the cdi only has the two plugs rather then 3-4

I also found out my motor is original motor to the chassis so should I be double checking that my flywheel is a 91 even though that's what stator they had in? ATV used to run so that's why I presumed it had to be when I pulled old stator out

Well, it's not going to be any of the clutch, neutral, run,or reverse switch wiring because all of that will keep the starter from turning. It's gotta be stator, coil, or cdi related. If your stator, flywheel, and one way bearing is all screwed up might be a good place to look

Well, it's not going to be any of the clutch, neutral, run,or reverse switch wiring because all of that will keep the starter from turning. It's gotta be stator, coil, or cdi related. If your stator, flywheel, and one way bearing is all screwed up might be a good place to look
Then I guess I'll have to dig into the stator and flywheel again. Maybe I'll put the old one back on and make the wires work with an old plug. Like I said the ATV used to run so maybe I just didn't figure out the years properly or something stupid

I forgot to mention that last night I was getting pulse voltages that were enough to spark the plug on the orange wire if I left it unplugged from coil. Then as soon as I plugged the coil in, it would do the continuity to ground and then pretty much caused it to stop after that. I wasn't able to get it to do it again but I do know for a fact at that point if it was hooked up and would've worked through the coil it would've ran. Not sure if my coil is faulty or what even though it's new. I get continuity from the positive spade on coil to the ground mounting tabs coming out. I checked my scrambler coil and it does the same thing. Kinda told me it was fine but just super stumped about all this. I'm not going to buy any more parts since everything is brand new and it would be just throwing money in the wind

Honestly... put it all together like it's supposed to be, pretend it'll just work and you might fool the universe into cutting you a break.
Could very well be this whole time your first instinct to replace the coil was spot on but you bought one that was built on a Friday.
Unrelated but i had a similar situation with a thermostat. Replaced it because it would stick open, but the new one stuck shut. I replaced it with another and that one stuck shut too. Not knowing that, i did the water pump thinking no way I got 2 brand new name brand thermostats that were bad, damn near pulled all my hair out when it didbt work. Bypassed thermost 3 and it ran cool till number 4 came from the dealer.
Long story short factory workers don't get paid enough and sometimes **** comes out wonky

Honestly... put it all together like it's supposed to be, pretend it'll just work and you might fool the universe into cutting you a break.
Could very well be this whole time your first instinct to replace the coil was spot on but you bought one that was built on a Friday.
Unrelated but i had a similar situation with a thermostat. Replaced it because it would stick open, but the new one stuck shut. I replaced it with another and that one stuck shut too. Not knowing that, i did the water pump thinking no way I got 2 brand new name brand thermostats that were bad, damn near pulled all my hair out when it didbt work. Bypassed thermost 3 and it ran cool till number 4 came from the dealer.
Long story short factory workers don't get paid enough and sometimes **** comes out wonky
Oh man that sounds like an actual disaster. I have a coil from my scrambler that I know works. I think I'll pull the orange and make sure I get that reading again and try using the other coil and go from there. I've been tempted on buying a flywheel but I don't think I'd get any voltage on orange wire if that was my issue. I won't have a chance to tinker with the coils till tomorrow. Couldn't an ohm reading on my present coil tell me whether it's bad or not or could it still be bad even then? I will say if you knew the luck my family and I have, hoping to the universe would probably make more things go bad 😅 were you ever able to reference the two lose wires I still have on my harness? I doubt they matter since I've gotten a reading off that orange wire but would still be nice to fix those once I get this paperweight running. Thank you for taking the time to suggest some things. I've been in every warrior forum and have posted dozen or so threads as I progressed on the ATV and your the first to respond since my conversion 🙏 always nice to have a second opinion from someone who hasn't been involved at all. Anyways I should know one way or the other tomorrow night on the coil. Thanks man

Sorry I haven't updated in awhile. Been busy and honestly needed a break from the thorn in my side. I ended up trying my old harness which didn't work, so I hooked up the 91 harness. Left the coil unplugged and I was getting voltage out of the orange wire. The minute I plug it into the coil it freaks the whole system out and the cdi quits outputting a voltage reading. I unplugged it and let it sit and then checked voltage. It reads but seems lower as I was getting a high voltage reading before and now it won't show me a number. Tomorrow morning I'll be pulling my scrambler coil off as I had to use it this weekend for yard duty.

Well got to the ATV today. Orange wire unhooked from coil after sitting overnight. I get 55v pulsing through orange wire. I get around .09 steady off. The moment I plug it in. It gets continuity to ground which is normal as my scrambler does it. But the moment I crank, it causes the steady voltage to read around .52-.55 and then I no longer get any kind of pulse voltage out of it. This is after putting everything back on and how it should be. I pulled neutral relay and jumped the blues to get the neutral light on. I'm actually stumped on what could be causing this thing to cancel voltage. I even pulled the coil off my scrambler which works perfectly and it does the same thing. The only wires I don't have hooked up on the 91 harness is a green/black coming out of the loom around the same area as the stator plugs, and a black ground just behind that. I've tried everything. I've tested everything. Tried unplugging regulator like some have said, I can't ground the green/white cause it has a low voltage reading going through it which could be issue but also read can just leave it unhooked. I've tried jumping relays. I think this thing is just gonna get sold. There's literally nothing else to replace or check as everything electrical is brand new. I know now to never buy a junk warrior. That's for sure. Overcomplicated POS's

Latest posts

Back