Effects of shortening exhaust

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLife_181

Reaction score
Hey guys i wanna shorten my exhaust, its a yoshimura rs-3 and i want to cut the silencer back about 3" will i have to rejet? and how will it effect it. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Are you wanting to shorten it because it sticks out too far? Wouldn't it make more sense that if it sticks out too far to shorten the pipe from the silencer to where it attaches to the header pipe? It's your pipe,do what you want, just offering up another idea bud. I think it will be louder but like Lloyd I don't think you will need to rejet it. I just think they are designed that length by people smarter than me and I am willing to bet they had a good reason for making it that long. I wonder if shortening it will reduce its performance qualities. Just something to think about.

Are you wanting to shorten it because it sticks out too far? Wouldn't it make more sense that if it sticks out too far to shorten the pipe from the silencer to where it attaches to the header pipe? It's your pipe,do what you want, just offering up another idea bud. I think it will be louder but like Lloyd I don't think you will need to rejet it. I just think they are designed that length by people smarter than me and I am willing to bet they had a good reason for making it that long. I wonder if shortening it will reduce its performance qualities. Just something to think about.
I agree with Frit about leaving the silencer along because it was engineered that way to perform. By shortening the silencer though, you may get less back pressure which could increase performance very slightly, but I have a feeling its just going to make the pipe louder. I don't think you will need to rejet but it never hurts to check the plug afterward.

Just curious, why do you want to shorten it. From your avatar pic it looks to be about right. I agree with Frit, it was designed that length for a reason. Just wondering.

Just doing it for the look (love the look of a short pipe). Anyways I finished it up this morning, looks great! and it didn't need to be rejetted. took it for a test drive, sounds slightly deeper and has a little better bottom end but not to noticeable.

Back