Drain Plug Tap size

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sea157

Reaction score
Anyone know what tap size is needed to retap the threads for the oil drain plug?

My threads are all messed up and I need to know what tap I need to chase the treads to straighten them up.
I need it for the threads in the motor not the threads on the plug.

Take the open end of a wrench and try to slip it over the threaded part of the drain plug. The wrench that just fits is the diameter (it's metric) take the plug with you when you go and buy the tap. The store may have a thread pitch gauge. The threads of drain plug and the proper tap will mesh perfectly.

uhhhhh good luck dude, that is a masive chaser

Yeah no **** it is!! About the only thing you can do is get a couple new drain plugs. Take one and cut the flange off so it won't seal against the engine. Then, take a hack saw, and cut a line like this / into the threads about 3/8 to a half inch apart. Doing that will make your own thread chaser, basically. Then make the attempt to thread it into the engine. Good luck though! You may want to stand the bike up on end so you can work easier and see what you are doing. Just be sure to pour a quart of oil through the engine with the plug out to flush whatever aluminum debris there may be. Also, put some grease or antiseize on the tap's threads.

Yeah no **** it is!! About the only thing you can do is get a couple new drain plugs. Take one and cut the flange off so it won't seal against the engine. Then, take a hack saw, and cut a line like this / into the threads about 3/8 to a half inch apart. Doing that will make your own thread chaser, basically. Then make the attempt to thread it into the engine. Good luck though! You may want to stand the bike up on end so you can work easier and see what you are doing. Just be sure to pour a quart of oil through the engine with the plug out to flush whatever aluminum debris there may be. Also, put some grease or antiseize on the tap's threads.

If I can not find a tap (that is why I would like to know the size) that sounds like a very good idea.
I will order 2 more plugs.

Guys just to let you know Gen1Pat’s idea worked, it took about 2 hours to do but it worked. :tup:
From past experience I know that when it gets tight you need to give it a few light tapes with a hammer to straighten the threads up.
So every time it would tighten I would hit it with the hammer and turn it another ¼ inch, after 2 hours it was all the way in and I could spin it back off.
It is now in tight with no oil leaks (at least right now) and hopefully no leaks ever.
Thanks for the Idea Gen1Pat !!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I just used the new oil plug without cutting the flange off or putting the diagonal slices in the threads to make a tap out of it but I did use anti seize on the treads.
With the flange off and diagonal slices in the threads this may have worked even better.

Back