Drag raced a 400ex today

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yakuza

Reaction score
My buddy and I went to a local park today to ride. They have a 300ft drag area set up complete with tree. We raced four times, and I beat him three. Both bikes are 05s. Mine has a slip-on, jet, and K&N. His has the baffle removed. Not like anyone cares I just thought I'd post it and let everyone tell me I should have lost and how fast a 400ex is :p

I'm not gonna say you shoulda lost, you might be a way better rider or shifter then he is. Remember the 400ex stock only makes between 24 and 26HP, so a Warrior w' pipe and jets is pretty close at around 22 to 23HP, albit a little heaveyer, but if you lightned it, it'll be close in weight too. Numbers don't lie..... :cool:

Doesn't sound too far-fetched to me, I was running very close to 400exs' when my warrior was only piped, filtered, and jetted.

Nah, he's a damn good rider. I keep trying to get him to race, but he's not interested. We've been riding together for close to ten years. And just for the record, I'm on a Raptor, so it's almost 25lbs lighter than the Warrior. When we go back up in a few weeks I'm going to take the camcorder. I don't know how to put it on the computer, but I'll figure it out.

I never understood why Yamaha didn't just make the Raptor350 a 400cc bike, or at least a 386 like the rounded off 400 BigBear is. They have all the parts in stock and produce them. The big bear is the same engine with a little different case and an autoclutch. Just would make more sense to me.

You, me, and everyone else ::) It's ok though, at least I can run the sport class and I know the bike is plenty fast enough....lol. Just running the local hare scrambles I could pull the holeshot on everyone, including 450s. Pesky 450s would track me down by the time we hit the first turn though....lol. That's the only reason I'm not doing a bore/stroke, I want to be able to run the sport class this year in the AWRCS series.

me and my cousins quads are exactly the same thing when my valves are crap.......but once i hit 6th he inches past me, they feel alot faster than they are.....they have alot of tourque tho

me and my cousins quads are exactly the same thing when my valves are crap.......but once i hit 6th he inches past me, they feel alot faster than they are.....they have alot of tourque tho
I think its more of the light front end that makes them feel torquey, My z has way more torque then my friends 4ooex, but with my extended **** and shocks, it doesnt really feel like it till its on the track.

I thought a stock 06 400ex felt like it had more power than my yammy when i rode it around the yard but when i raced him i beat him by about 2 and half bike lengths. but yea the 400's have light front ends, they wheely so friggin easy.

It isn't so much the light front ends, it's more that the motor is placed farther back in the chassis then the Warrior.

Do 400exs suck on steep hill climbs? Those scare me the most.

Well, it wouldn't be my first choice for a steep hill...lol. My buddy has a lot of problems keeping his front down on really steep hills. I never have a problem with the 350, it's firmly planted up front.

Do 400exs suck on steep hill climbs? Those scare me the most.
My girlfriend has a 05 400ex and i love riding hers up the hill climbs at the dunes. Nothing like cresting the top on only the rear tires ;D And on a side note my warrior is piped jetted and air box removed and she still beats me in any race :-/

Yeah but you're still a good 25lbs heavier than the Raptor, it does make a difference.

Back