Direct shifter Mod...OH Yeah!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barncat

Reaction score
So, After reading all the threads on it, and growing to despise the shifter set up(especially with Nerf Bars), I decided to buy the MSR YZ shifter. All I can say is...
WTF Yamaha, why in the hell were you using the Cup and Ball all these years?

I took it around the property and went for neutral at least 6 times, and hit it every time. When running around my buddies track, I found I was constantly missing fourth, while under the gun. NOT ANYMORE!

This thing went on so damn easy, the worst part was the E-clip on the old one. It's like a whole new bike.Best mod that can be made, hands down.

Damn straight it is, I had to get a Banshee MSR shifter and custom bend it around the pull start on the yellow one. Did it on my red one to, cause I was missing neutral all the time

Funny how with something that bad they could keep putting it on all those years.Once you make the switch you wonder why you didnt do it sooner.

I had a problem with the stud on the red one breaking, thats the other reason I went direct. Yellow one it was planned from the start of the biuld.

yo just gotta bend the hell out of it hah, i wanna do it but, i also have ht ebig bear setup, and a pull start, and size 13 boots, thosee just dont make a pretty equation. and all you with the shifter now how much shorter is it from stock, i have mine sitting pretty high right now for my boot to get under, and i dont want to get into it and realize i dont have a long enough shifter

Upside is, I guess I have a factory shifter for sale or trade. ;)

Not on this forum tho. I'd never be able to get rid of it.

I have sz10 work boots boots, and have it just below mid-line on the Stator. For me it's right across the top of my toes(just below the nails). I feel it's about perfect.

Once my new riding boots come in, I may have to make an adjustment, but not for sure.

Ya I just want the aluminum but that dang cooler mod hits and I got sz 13's too but I was wondering if there is a yamaha shifter that's like 2 inches longer so u can bend it to work

The Banshee shifter is quite a bit longer than the yz250. I had to bend mine to clear the pull start and its just about right for my size 16 boots, possibly just a hair long but I can deal with that.

The Banshee shifter is quite a bit longer than the yz250. I had to bend mine to clear the pull start and its just about right for my size 16 boots, possibly just a hair long but I can deal with that.
but if you cut it and weld it together you get to choose your lengh. DAMN size 16!

well now I have a question. My boots are a Size 11. I went with the MSR yz250 shifter mod, and while it worked incredible while I was wearing normal sneakers/boots, once i put on my riding boots, I had to adjust the position of the Shifter for my boot to make it under without me having to move my whole leg.

Now the spot I need it to be in, makes it come into contact with the Crank Case Cover and the screw head that protrudes out of it.

Does anyone make a flatter crank case cover, or has anyone used screws without heads as big as the stock ones?

Id rather pruchase a flatter cover than start modding the shifter. Id have to dremel a section of it out right in the middle, and i dont think that would be the best idea for the shifters strength. The last thing id need is the shifter snapping in half due to me modding it.

Now its not always in contact with the cover, but when I would go to shift up, it would hit it.

Mine does the same thing. I'm just using the side of the riding boot. It takes some getting used to, but it's growing on me.

Mine does the same thing. I'm just using the side of the riding boot. It takes some getting used to, but it's growing on me.

I think I tried that on accident a few times because it was the only way I could shift quickly, but I dont know how much I liked it. I dont know if its worth trying to get used to. I felt I had a tendencey to miss shifts because i couldn't judge it well enough.

Now,

the banshee shifter fits no problem and gives more clearance? I believe I have an 01 and theres no pull start.

Latest posts

Back