difference between D8EA and DR8EA

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtpimp

Reaction score
whats the difference between the two plugs? and what gap should we have them at for our quads?

02' Warrior

The plug gap should be the same, but the servive manuel calls for D8EA. Some ignitions reqiuire a resisitor plug, like the Dynatek CDI I have specifically states use Resisitor plugs only, this is because of the talkback between the CDI and sparkplug. It's funny because the Yamaha dealer by me only use resistor plugs on CDI ignitions. So if you got the resisitor plug there's no worries.

They put a resister in the boot to have the fire for a longer duration this is good for high rpm. The more OHM the more duration, BUT the less spark energy.

Also dont waste your $$ on iridium or platinum. They have a higher resistance then copper. If you want to spend $ get a silver plugs $15 each

snakebyte said:
They put a resister in the boot to have the fire for a longer duration this is good for high rpm. The more OHM the more duration, BUT the less spark energy.

Also dont waste your $$ on iridium or platinum. They have a higher resistance then copper. If you want to spend $ get a silver plugs $15 each

I think you need to read up a little more before posting this info as it is incorrect.

do the plugs come pre gapped to the 350 requirements?

also doesnt the 9 run hotter than the 8 why would you run it in the summer heat if it makes the bike run hotter?

The D8EAs I bought are already gapped properly. And jasonp is correct, a capacitor would make it fire for a longer time, not a resistor. Although I've never heard of capacitors on sparks plugs.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, a capacitor would also retard the timing by a bit too.

gtpimp the 9 is actually cooler compared to the 8, so it is opposite of what you think, a 7 would be hotter than the 8

You really only need to run the D9EA under nitrous or possibly 12 to 1 compression. I ran both with a ton of mods done and the D8EA was the best choice for the warrior motor. The dyna ignition states to not use much else besides possibly a cooler or hotter plug. A aftermarket cable and boot, or even a stator could damage the ignition. I also gave the DR8EA a try, but it just lead to starting issues (it wasn't the fuel mixture). It was always hard to start, even in summer and under various fuel to air mixtures, and with and without the dyna on there. Sure as **** as soon as the D8EA or D9EA was back in it would fire right up again. I also checked the gap and tried more than one DR8EA on there so those problems were also not the issue.

If you talk to FST, duncan, and trinity when they do a build up on in engine they tell you to run the D9EA, even if you are running just the 10.2:1. I agree with them as you are basically raising combustion temp so you should get a plug to compansate for that other wise it will lead to bigger problems.
I've never heard or had problems with either the DR9EA or D9EA.
Basically dyna is protecting there ass when it comes to this as they don't know what is out there for aftermarket nor have tested there CDI this way. These are the same people that told me that the warrior came with a rev limit set at 7500rpm stock.
I have a ricky stator, stator. Hot shot ignition coil, NGK racing 5 K ohm cap and a semi surface discharge DR9 plug F1 style, with the Dyna igition and runs and starts great. Will not die with the choke on no matter how much fuel you give it, before it would. That tells me right there that I'm getting way more spark engery.

Back