Dented Pipe

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warlord

Reaction score
I have a nice dent in my stock head pipe. What I was wondering is, do you think it would hurt the power any? Would it be worth it to replace it with an aftermarket one? Thanks

how big is the dent? It wouldn't be worth replacing with an aftermarket one for most people because there's not much of a gain over the stock headpipe. If the dent is really a deep one it might be worth replacing with another stock one.

if the dent is fairly big, then yes it would effect the performance of it, it would be like kinking your water hose, the more you kink it, the less water that comes out, and in this case, air.

The dent is fairly big, it looks like a big rock or a really hard stick or something might have done it. Its roughly 3 1/2" long and about an inch wide. I can't tell how deep it is really though.

it's how deep the dent is that's going to make the biggest difference in your power. Estimating from the length and width i'd say it's not deep enough to feel a power loss from it, but it's still probably deep enough to lose power. It's not an urgent thing, so i'd watch ebay and get a used stock headpipe when there's one cheap.

take the headpipe off, and try to make the dent go out the opposite way, with a small crowbar or something before you buy a new one, just trying to save ya a few cents ::)

I thought about that too, but I don't think you're going to be able to very easily, it really takes a lot to bend that steel unless it's already heated up pretty good. I think the heat is why they seem to dent so easily when they get hit with rocks. I guess it's still worth a try though, depending on what part of the pipe it's at.

then forget about it and look for a new one, i doubt it could be popped out even if it was in the straight section

So far I have only found one used header for sale but it looks kinda rusty. I am considering getting an FMF header, just cause they look nice and apparently flow a wee bit better. I was wondering if there is a difference between the powerbomb and the hi flow? I know the powerbomb has that "bomb" thing but does that really do anything? Just wondering cause the powerbomb is more expensive than the hi flow. Also Parts Canada has this full system from DG called the Stage 3 megaphone system. Is that a good package? Sorry for asking so many questions at once.

if you're going to spend money on an aftermarket header it's worth the extra for the powerbomb. The powerbomb adds more top end power, and I think it muffles the sound a little bit. I don't think the regualar fmf header would even give enough of a power gain to notice without being on a dyno.

I found a decent stock header on ebay and it just arrived the other day. Today I finally had time to put it on. I'm not sure if it went far enough into the midpipe but it doesn't seem to leak at all. Anyways, I shoveled my quad a pathway and made it out to the road. I went around on the road for a bit (trails are too deep to pass) and after it was nice and warm I let er' rip. I'm sure it accelerates harder and it certainly has a higher top speed. Also sounds and runs a bit better. I'm pleased.

Back