death by potato

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamarider

Reaction score
Post any spud related artillery here (and don't try this at home, kids)

awesome. i've always wanted to build a potato gun.

maybe this will get the "potato" rolling :p

Here's my biggest pneumatic one:
http://members.toast.net/rikoster/photos//Photo0026.jpg

About 7 feet long, 4" chamber and 3" barrel, should be able to handle about 250 psi but only tested to 100 so far. Ammunition of choice is actually a 16 oz beer can filled with water and frozen, stay the **** out of the way when it goes off though. It'll do a hell of a thing to a Nissan Sentra at 50 yards. Another fun thing, stuff a Nerf football down the barrel and catch your buddy in the back with it.

It takes 2 people to efficiently aim and fire it because of the size, i almost broke my collar bone once by charging it with air, filling the barrel halfway with water, and setting it loose. Kicked so hard it slipped out of my hands and the brace at the end (not in picture) caught me on the shoulder and knocked me down. Won't do that again...

Also have a small one with a 1" barrel that will shoot an after-dinner mint through a coffee can, load about 15 of them down the barrel and they break into pieces as they are fired, that's some squirrel killing shrapnel right there.

Ever shot a golf ball through a car door? Got one of those too, damn thing was a poor design though, about 14 feet long. Golf balls are shitty ammo though, they bounce way too much, catch something solid and it'll come back at you at about half the speed it left the barrel, it'll leave a mark.

Everything I have now is pneumatic, I had built a 2" barrel cannon powered by propane and a MSD ignition with 2 spark plugs, still not as reliable as air and a hell of a lot more dangerous. It's just hard to keep them consistent shot after shot.

Haha me to. But my other one that had the spark plug broke today i got mad at it, called it a piece of ****, threw it down and it snapped in half. :-/

largest one i built was 3inch bore 4 foot barrel, 5 inch gas chamber, the spark igniter out of a grill burning a mixture of hairspray and propane. trow a damn tater through one of the older thick glassed t.v.'s at about 45-50 yeards

Wow im surprised i wouldn't think that everyone would actually have a potato gun LOL

haha me either but they are a cheap way to have fun. i think i have $50 in mine and that was about 3 years ago. has anyone ever shot theirs at night? its pretty awesome how it lights up the entire gun when it goes off

Haha ya thats best! it would be pretty cool if you could get a good picture of it when it lights up.

heres mine, needs a new igniter though.

P2060127.jpg

P2060128.jpg

Ahhh dude you should have used a spark plug that is not going to hold up very long like that.

workin on that yet but im thinkin some kind of rubber washer or oring, as long as i can still get the nut on the bottom of it

if its threaded use teflon tape.. and lots of it.. i think thats what we did when we were kids.. but we used a grill spark thing to ignite the fumes..

Back