Compression after rebuild.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rruser

Reaction score
What kind of warm compression numbers are you guys seeing on fresh OEM top ends? I did a hone/re-ring on a really nice used 2003 top end. STD sized Yamaha piston with new Yamaha rings. I'm showing 155psi warm with about 5-10 mins of break-in time total. The head was not decked per-say.. but was slightly resurfaced. Around .006-.010 taken off the head due to the previous owner's screw driver usage.:argh:

Should I just take it as a free high-comp upgrade and run 93 fuel? or throw a second base gasket in there? Also, i'm not sure if its the break-in or the use of 87 fuel, but the header gets pretty warm. It's a budget rebuild for a friend so I want it to be a good runner. :atv:

Thanks

I thought I would answer my own questions.. maybe it will help someone else out. :nanner:

1) The compression... either my compression gauge is messed up or the values stated in most of the manuals are wrong? My 100% stock and well cared for 2003 warrior shows 170PSI with the throttle wide open. Around 120 with it closed. I'm 99% sure this brand new Snap-On gauge is wrong.

2) The header heat. I ran the same tests on my 2003 as I did on the refreshed motor. When running on choke with high idle the header will slightly glow orange in the dark. It will also get a hint of orange if the throttle is held open a bit. Take a look at the picture below. From the motor to the red dot will almost always be above 600F. This happens even within 30-60 seconds of startup.

header.jpg

Does anyone have any of their own compression numbers from stock warriors? I know what the book says, but I'm looking for real values people have seen

Compression readings on a comp gauge is not your compression ratio. The compression ratio is the amount of air/fuel that is compressed into such a small space. The higher the comp, the need for higher octane fuel, because higher heat numbers are being produced. Idk what my comp reading is on my stroker after I completed it in March. No need to test it, obviously has idel comp, doesn't smoke, great power...

Right, that's why I was asking for a real world number of the PSI. Not what it should be, not what the book says, but what someone with a well running stock motor gets on a good battery with WOT. I'm not worried about the ratio now since I get the same value on a known stock motor. While there might not be direct math between the PSI and comp ratio, I do know the only way my PSI reading could be high is from a change in the cam, high comp piston, decked head, or high carbon. None of that is happening here.

Shouldn't it be around 123 or something?

No. It should be much higher. The usual minimum "good" comp reading shoud be no less then 120psi. Usually the 150 and up is what you'll find on most engines.

Thanks for all the feedback. Still hoping a builder will chime in and share some of the true values they get from a fresh motor.

Oh, sorry about that. I guess when I saw "most engines" I took it as being a general statement. So no one has ever seen a 100% stock 350 motor in the 160-175 range?

Back