Compatability 87, 88, 89 Warrior 350??

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetFuelBurner

Reaction score
Hello strangers. It's been a while.

About this time last year I came to the conclusion that the electrical difficulties I've been having with my '87 might be terminal. To sum up:
Got the quad a couple years ago as a partial trade. Last year outfitted with new ITP Holeshots (I now had more in the tires than I had invested in the quad). Rebuilt carb. Ran like a champ. No smoke. Replaced clutch. New battery as it wouldn't hold charge...or so I thought. New batt went dead when riding and I diagnosed the stator as bad. I ran out of time as deer season had started and had my local shop install my Ricky Stator. They called and said the work was done but then when they went to start, no spark. They also said that the magneto flywheels magnatisim was weak at best. So at this point I threw up my hands.

The flywheel could be the cause...OR...it could be a symptom of a larger problem. Could be the flywheel lost its mojo due to a bad voltage regulator. Could be the no spark and weak mag flywheel aren't related at all. Ie I could also have a bad CDI BOX - spark...AND...a bad voltage regulator - weak mag flywheel.

Now on to my question as in the title of my post...

I may have an opportunity to aquire both a non-running '88 and a running '89. At this point, my current '87 may become a second parts donor for the '89 provided there is good parts commonality between the 87, 88 and 89.

So are the years in question comparable? I understand there are some wiring harness differences. I can handle that. Are the CDI boxes the same? The voltage regulators? The magneto flywheels? Those are the biggies that will make or break this deal.

Thanks so much...again!

87-88 are the only ones that are compatible the 89 has a different flywheel magnet setup

So lets say I know a guy who used to work on Trans-Con "Connies" (a 1950's airliner) and he has a machine that will re-magnetize my currently dead magneto-flywheel that I happen to have for my '87. Would that be good for the '88? If so, what parts off the '89 would or wouldn't be compatible thereafter???

Back