clutch slipping

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitkendall

Reaction score
i dont know if its just me or what but it seems as if every warrior i build for myself and other people always has the clutch slipping after i build it. like this last one i just did the bike ran good and was pretty fast but smoked like a train so i took it apart to put new rings in it and found the piston was all scuffed up along with the cylinder so we by a wiesco piston bore the cylinder and get it all back together and take it for a ride and it has good power but like every other one ive built when u crack on it u can feel the power start then the clutch starts to slip no matter how much u adjust the clutch cable i hate to say it but this thing was probably faster before the rebuild so what do you guys think is the problem the motor maken to much power for the clutch now or what it didnt slip before but you shoulda seen the metal sahvings in the oil filter and the screen on the oil plug it was scary that this thing ran as good as it did sorry for ramblin thanks

just putting the new piston in u will see some shaving cause of breakin. i havent done it but alot of people on here add an extra steel plate in the clutch pack and the slipping goes away. i think there is a tutorial on it in that section.

well the metal shavings were in the oil and filter before i rebuilt the engine and im using castrol go atv 10 w 40 oil thanks

That oil probably isn't helping it, it's not the best quality oil. You should see some noticable improvement with a good quality motorcycle oil. Silkolene, Yamalube, Amsoil, Maxima, something like that. The cheap motorcycle oils that the automotive oil companies sell usually aren't any better than just running any random oil off the shelf of walmart. I noticed my stock clutch start slipping immediately after switching from Silkolene ATV 10-40 to Valvoline ATV 10-40, switching back to Silkolene improved the condition, but never went away completely so I had to replace the clutch.

It could also be that the clutches are already borderline and rebuilding the engine and squeezing out a couple extra hp's pushes them over the edge, but that seems unlikely to happen every time you rebuild one. The oil seems like it could be the common factor here.

yeah i was thinkin that the extra hps picked up by the rebuild is what has been causing it becouse i just started using the go atv becouse my parts guy just got it in and was givin me a pretty good deal on it im gonna let this guy break in the motor for a few more days (when he finaly comes and gets it) and then when we do the first oil change im gonna get him to buy some yamalube or some belray. i was just curious if this is just my bad luck with warriors or if it was something that happened to a few of yall i realy cant remember what kind of oil i used in the last 2 warrirors but it wasnt this go atv stuff i know thanks for the help i may try and talk him into a new clutch kit just becouse the amount of metal i got outa this thing so im sure the clutch is packed along with the oil pump also but its his bike his money just my time so its up to him if it was mine i woulda done that right off the get go anyway

yea i was going to suggest to replace the oil pump while you were in there. when i rebuild my engine, it had shavings everywhere, so i took the time to replace the oil pump, which to a while, but i never touched the clutch, and it hasnt given me any problems. im glad i replaced my oil pump, you could see bad grooves worn into it.

Back