Clutch Cover Moisture

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxguy

Reaction score
Okay, so maybe this has been asked, but I haven't been able to find anything on here about it. For some reason, my clutch cover is almost always 'wet'. The entire bike can be dry, but around the oil dipstick, it's wet. Almost seems as though it's leaking from the dipstick, but it goes to high for that. However, it also goes above the top of the clutch cover as well.

I'm guessing this has to be a sign of a worn clutch cover gasket. Then again is this just something to expect?

Here's a pic:

clutchcover.jpg

(Yeah I know it's dirty, thats cuz I ride it haha)

Thanks for any info,

pdxguy

Looks like a leaky gasket. Either clutch cover or dipstick tube alone with excessive blowby. Do you have a lot of blow by out of the vent tube?

Vent tube? Do you mean the crankcase vent that goes into the airbox? If so, then no I don't believe I am getting any blowby through that... however, if you mean a different vent hose then I haven't looked for one.

yea, that one. i don't have an airbox so it's just a vent tube to me. Very well could be just a bad gasket.

Suppose I'll need to pull the wrenches out and tighten it all up and see how that works. I imagine it'll come down to a new gasket though, that makes sense. I'll have to double check the vent hose as well, just to be sure.

Question though...if there is blowby in the vent hose, what would cause that?

Suppose I'll need to pull the wrenches out and tighten it all up and see how that works. I imagine it'll come down to a new gasket though, that makes sense. I'll have to double check the vent hose as well, just to be sure.

Question though...if there is blowby in the vent hose, what would cause that?
Blown Compression rings.

"Question though...if there is blowby in the vent hose, what would cause that?"

Crankcase pressure is caused by worn rings or scored/galled cylinder wall. Run a dry compression test, then a wet one and compare the results. The small amount of oil used for the wet test would haphazzardly mask your ring/cylinder problem and you'd see an increase in cylinder pressure.

~Ronbo

Is there an O-Ring on your dipstick tube?
I lost mine when I checked the oil one time..........Looked just like that when I did.

Couldnt hurt ta check.

Is there an O-Ring on your dipstick tube?
I lost mine when I checked the oil one time..........Looked just like that when I did.

Couldnt hurt ta check.

Nice call! I didn't even think to check of it not being there, maybe just wore out. I figured it was much more part of the dipstick or so. I just checked and I don't see any o-ring there. I'll have to run out tomorrow and pick one up! Hopefully that's all there is to it.

I'm looking at putting in the K&N here soon too, so I'll have to check on the blowby as well then.

-pdxguy

I wouldn't worry too much about the blow-by if your missing the gasket on the dipstick. That's a pretty easy source for oil leakage.

Back