Clutch and Tires

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floridaredneck

Reaction score
Okay I got 2 questions.

First what is the best rear tire for soft sand other then paddle tires? I do a lot of soft sand riding but also need a tire that I can slide and drive on hard packed dirt. Also are Douglass .190 good rims?

Last week I noticed that when I'm in a higher gear and go to hammer if the engine rev's up but I don't go anywhere. Also wheelies seem to be getting harder to do to. So I figure its the clutch, what the best clutch kit out their?

Thanks

1 question: Razr or Razr2's work great for those conditions as do Kenda Klaws

2 Question: Are you positive it isn't your chain adjustment and how does your front sproket look? I doubt its the clutch, you would feel it slipping first

I say it is the clutch.
If the chain is skipping on the sprockets you would definitely know it (unless you are deaf).
I have not done a Warrior clutch, but I like the Barnett kit. The EBC drc kit is a little less money and a lot of guys are happy with it in the EX. I will likely be doing the EBC kit in my EX.

Im still not sure its the clutch because if in the higher gears he was moving and then stabbed the throttle with high rev but nothing happened would mean that it fell out of gear and he would definatley know that.

Definitely sounds like the clutch to me. That's exactly how mine behaved when the stock clutch was getting to be on it's last leg. The stock clutch will get to a point where there is friction material left that it should still work, but the pressure plate bottoms out and can't put enough pressure on the plates to keep them from spinning. You could probably get away with adding 1 or 2 steel plates to the pack and running it for another year or so, i could have with mine, but i figured that I might as well just replace the clutch while it was apart and add an extra steel to the pack so the same thing doesn't happen next time.

I used an EBC clutch kit, and right now that clutch has over 3 years of hard riding on it and still grabs strong. That's even with my buddy riding it for the last 8 months, and he's managed to totally destroy the clutch in is sv650s twice and that's just street riding. So the ebc clutch has definitely stood up to some abuse and is still going strong.

The stock clutch is also good like dave stated, but the ebc is a cheaper way to go and worked great for me.

Can I get the EBC clutch kit then add a OEM clutch plate for more friction? Also do you know if the EBC kit on Rocky mountan come with the H-D springs?

You can add the oem clutch plate to the ebc kit, it won't cause any problems. I don't think the ebc kit on rocky mountain comes with the h-d springs, but i really don't see the necessity for them unless you have a heavily built machine. Mine was probably pushing out 30 hp and the standard ebc springs were strong enough that it was impossible to make it slip no matter how high i revved it and dumped the clutch. These things don't need a stiffer clutch pull anyways, it's rough enough stock.

I've been using a Barnett clutch with the HD spings for a few years now and its been great, no slip.

I live in Ontario where it is really sandy and I run Maxxis Razr2 tires. The only thing I've seen hook up better are paddle tires.

Tusk clutch installation instructions:

Step 1: Remove from package.
Step 2: Soak plates in oil to prepare for installation
Step 3: Deposit in trash (saves you the trouble of installing it and then replacing it again in a month anyways)

In general, tusk is a cheaply made, inferior product compared to the real name brands 90% of the time. Every once in a while they make something good. Their oil filters seem good, gas caps are good, the nerf bars are good, but the bumpers are weak as ****, as are the handlebars, and the clutch and brake parts are probably one notch ahead of replacing the worn parts with wads of duct tape. Any of their parts that use rubber, like the brake lines, can be expected to be cracked and useless within a year. The gaskets are good if you're looking for a nice, steady, predictable leak, but don't expect them to actually form a perfect seal past the first month. Think twice before buying anything with the tusk name on it, because "made in china" never had more meaning.

Thanks guys, yeh I just figured I would ask because I have their big bar mount and it seems to be fine but a bar mount isn't anything like a clutch.

Back