Change spockets for smaller tires?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevslatvin

Reaction score
Hello, I was browsing around here and discovered that the Raptor 350 has a 38 tooth rear sprocket. I recently put a set of used Raptor 660 wheels and tires on my Warrior. Tire size is 20x10x9. I plan to keep running 20" rears when I get new tires, so should I replace my stock 40 tooth with a 38 tooth to get my top end back. Would I be better of to keep the 40 tooth for the added acceleration? Or should I go up a tooth or two on my front sprocket? After riding this weekend I was thinking about going up a tooth on my front sprocket anyway. Thanks.

u should be fine with the setup u got the 1 inch mont make that much but if your worried about it then set it up same as the rappy 350. If ya ride alot of trials i think u should leave it like it is

I ride mostly trails with some blasting across fields that are between woods. To be honest I only rode it once in the woods with the 22" tires before I switched wheels and that wasn't where I've been riding after the swap. Reason I was thinking of going up one tooth in front is seems 1st is pretty useless in the woods unless I come to a complete stop.Even then if I'm going down a hill I can take off in 2nd.I may try to find a 39T rear for it. Put it in the middle between a Warrior and a Rappy 350. I want try some Harescrambles this summer or maybe flattrack at the local fair when it rolls around.

I don't think you would be able to feel a difference with a 1 tooth change on the rear sprocket. Front sprockets are cheaper and easier to change, and make the most difference. If you think you would like the higher gearing then give it a try, I think that 14/40 is a good all-around setup with 20" tires.

I think I may try the 14/40 setup.I can always change it back if I don't like it. Also the guy I ride with rides a 400EX and on the road between spots seems I top out before him. He is up one tooth on his front sprocket. Atleast that's what the previous owner told him. Also will I have to get a new chain with the 14T front. Thanks.

the 400ex is geared higher. so his acceeration is slow but top speed is a little faster
take a look at this
http://yfm350.proboards31.com/index.cgi?board=tutorials&action=display&thread=1135955446
this i dont know if you have seen this or not, but that will tell you wht will happen when you change your back sproket or your front one.
then obviously your tire size will give your a little more acceleration/topspeed. depending on the size
smaller tire= more acceleration, less top speed
bigger tire = less acceleration, more top speed

I went ahead and put a 14T front on it. When riding through the woods at a decent to quick pace It seems to work pretty good, and traveling between spots it works good. When going slow in the woods the 13T may have been better. I don't like dragging around that much so I'm gonna leave the 14T for now. The 400EX still spanks me up top, but not quiet as bad.

[quote author=yamaharaptor350 board=quadrelated thread=1135754029 post=1135833091]will a 14/38 setup work with a stock chain ?
Yea because i have 15/38 whit the stock chain..

alright thanx.... hows your bike go with that 15 on there>??

I went to a 14t front after I put 20" rear tires on my warrior. I love it. I think its great all around gearing.

Back