chain

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotphil

Reaction score
how do you take links out of the chain?? or would it be better just to take it to the shop and have them do it?

what do you want to take a link out for? if the chain is worn out and stretched to the point you can't adjust it any tighter, it's probably best that you just replace your chain and sprockets before it jumps off and destroys your case. Worn out chains will cost you more in the long run. when they break or jump track.

But to answer the question, you need a tool called a chain breaker that presses the pins out. Or to do it without the tool, you can grind the head off one of the pins and then tap it through with a hammer and punch.

so i should prolly get a new chain, cuz mine is really stretched

I just took a link out of mine, the chain was stretched but I dont think its wore out. I think it just stretched too fast because I lubed it up with 90 weight oil all summer instead of actual chain lube lol.

thats what i did 98 warrior but i'ma prolly **** it up neways so i mise well get a new chain

by a durablue chain breaker. i had the same problem. mine chain worked fine for a long time since i took a few link's out

I always take links out of my chain before i buy a new one. But then again my chain doesnt stretch as far as anyone else on here since my carrier doesnt allow for as much adjustment as a stock bearing carrier. But its better to replace it regardless, but i always believed in replacing the sprockets and everything at one time rather than just buying a chain.

so once you grind the head off of the head of the pin and take a link out, do you just push the pin back thru the link??? or do you have to get a new pin?

i dont know how well you understand it but if you tighten the chain tensioners about 1/4 of thee way as tight as it will get the take your chain and put it on like you would ne other time and put it as tight as you can get it then count the little dowel pins and then take it off and if your have some sort of vise put it in that and take a grinding tool of some sort i use a die grinder and grind down the pin head pretty far then take a punch and tap it out of there if you do it right it should look just like the chain did before you cut it except just a little shorter. you might want to try it first if you can like if you need to take of three links try takeing off one at first then go in and take the rest out. Make sure you dont go to short or you will have to get a new one and you dont want to tighten the tensioner to tight cuz you take the chance on lossing the bolt is what ive been told dont know if it is true but never took the chance. hopefully this helped i think it should tho and you dont need a chain breaker its a waste of money

Back