chain break= cracked case...

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4strokerider69

Reaction score
hey guys havent posted anything in awhile...i was out riding this past sun with my buddy and his blaster went to clutch 3rd and clunk...there went the master link in my chain causing it to WRAP AROUND MY FRONT SPROCKET ...causing it to breaky my chain guard bracket and left two smaller then a dime holes...ive cleaned it and ruffed it up good and started my jb weld...luckily my bolt holes/bracket for my chain guard/ case peices were found and can put them back in place....now i hear what everyone means by a case saver...what would have caused my master link to break like that..i oil my chain before every ride
ill post pics when i can

you want the the clip to loo like this

clip
motor <------c------ rear sprocket

basically have it so the clip can not catch anything and pop off. the other thing to look for is if your chain is rubbing on anything

what type of chain guard? the stock plastic one isnt a chain guard, its a "don't get your fingers or pants stuck in the chain" guard

I want someone to throw a chain with Westons guard and see how it holds up.

what type of chain guard? the stock plastic one isnt a chain guard, its a "don't get your fingers or pants stuck in the chain" guard

if its the case bolts that are breaking wouldn't matter how strong the guard was wouldn't they break anyhow?

well sorry for the mis naming...i know its not a chain gaurd haha i ride with boots so a chain is no worry to me..as far as pants go....and to aka guppy i want my open part of the open part of the clip facing away from the motor???...n id take one of westons case savers....was plannin on buyin one b4 this happened..whats his made of? i ve seen a plastic one b4 lol everyone think the jb weld will hold heres some pics of before and now

http://www.yfm350.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=787&stc=1&d=1336672599

http://www.yfm350.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=788&stc=1&d=1336672599

Attachments

• 0506022017.jpg
    0506022017.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 43
  • downsized_0506022017a.jpg
    downsized_0506022017a.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 28
Yea open part away from motor. The round front part of clip facing path of travel of chain.

Have had this happen to me as well on a really nasty trail that i was following brute force 750's and king quad 700's on (needless to say i was doing great) but luckily i had some parts on me just threw a new master link in and jb welded the case and took a nice long break for it to dry and it has held up for 2 years and still going strong
003.jpg

That sprocket is pretty worn too. Chains and sprockets aren't cheap, but they are definitely cheaper than having to replace cases or live with knowing there is a hole behind that repair.

I replace mine fairly often just out of paranoia. A case saver would help too. I made one for both of mine. duneracerweston on here makes and sells them. Looks like your bottom bolt might still be there? That would hold the case saver in place and possibly keep it from doing any more damage if it happened again.

its amazing what jb weld will do...and thanks for the clip corrections my sprockets are all good...so i guess it was my master link that played the whole entire role of this happening...i have both my bolts jbwleded back on so im still good for a case saver ill post pics of the repair..

Ya im going to go ahead and buy a whole chain and sprocket kit off ebay not so cheap but i definatly dont want to be messing with the case any more then i have 2

honestly if you keep on top of the chain tension and quickly lube it after every ride it will last a long time and $70 every few years for new chain and sprockets really isnt that expensive.

In my experience since you change the sprockets and chain together buying more expensive sprockets is worthless as the chain seems to stretch quicker than the cheap sprockets wear.

After every 30h(600miles) of riding I pull the chain off and clean it thoroughly or if I was riding in deep mud I do it too

looks like u got lucky and only snapped the top bolt/case off...i got the bad and had the bottom go to exposing the bearing race......just finished up today thought...and went on a 20 min ride and notices the bottom on cracked a little tiny bit...and i lost some oil...but i think mis judged where it broke and piled it on the wrong spot so hope fully it will seal up and hold...how much pressure is in the case..???

Actually... ive had 2 chains break on warriors with my savers on em, complete success, no damage or wadding of the chain and no damage done to the case or savers so they have a 100% success rate, but im back logged right now, ive got a ton on my plate and im doing them as fast as I can but I need to keep the quality high as to not take chances.

Back