carb problem

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
i know this sounds like the same old question but let me set the scene.
my quad spits spudders only runs on choke.but the catch is it never ever did this until the choke shaft got bent by someone. now i had a new choke shaft put in and it seemed fine for 2 weeks.ever since this deal happened if it sits for 2 weeks it will do it all over again. my theory is maybe there is an air leak somewhere and the fuel is just jelling? any opinions would be greatly appreciated. you guys are more experienced with this im sure. thanks alot

my quad does the same damn thing ! i just bought and havent had the time to tear into it yet. i assume he carb is dirty or getting air like you said. on mine once i push the choke in and the rmp's settle down it coughs and sputters, backfires everything then dies. but with the choke out it runs like a champ. hmmm?

I would start by tearing the carb out and giving it a good cleaning. While it's apart you can inspect the diaphragm and see if that is the problem. My machine did the same thing after leaving it parked for a year. Once i cleaned the carb (I also put in a jet kit), it runs like a top again. There was all kinds of gum in there, the slide was really sticky, and the jets were clogged as well. A carb kit will set you back about $30, and a jet kit another $50 or so. If you haven't run the machine in a while, this is likely just a dirty carb problem.
You may also need to mess around a bit with the idle and jet settings once you put it back together.

Thanks for the reply ! Is there a how-too anywhere ? I have never taken a carb apart and i really dont want to mess it up.

Sorry guy none that I know of. Best thing to do is look at the online mircophice. Take it apart and be sure to pay attention to what your doing so it goes together the exact same way. Like stated above get a carb kit if you can find one. No one make much for the wolverine. K & L makes one but its only a float bowl gasket and a needle and seat. The Main thing is to get it apart and clean out all the orfices with carb. cleaner and blow all the jets out real good. Also when you go to take the fuel mixture screw out you need to screw it in first and count the turns till it stops and then once you put it back in you set it the same amount of turns from all the way in. Don't miss the small o-ring on the end of that screw either. It often times gets stuck in the carb body and you could miss it. Good luck and I know once you clean that carb out your bike should run fine again.

My guess is a leaky intake boot. Had the same thing happen and loosened the clamps and wiggled the carb some, retightened the clamps and problem solved.

Latest posts

Back