carb poping at idle

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idle

Reaction score
I just put the new jets in for my exhaust and itake and when the quad is at idle it will idle for a second then pop idle pop idle pop, then it will just die. I dont know what the hell is goin on but ive about had it with carburators! Can someone please help me?

Did you do anything with the fuel screw or pilot jet? It sounds like it's lean at idle.

The fuel screw is a small brass screw underneath the carb, in the center in front of the bowl. It shoud be around 2 or 2-1/2 turns out, you'll have to play with it a little to get it perfect.

you may have a too low idle. What does it do when its warmed up? Try turning your idle up more. Also check your header bolts if there tight because that will always make it backfire.

Um i think i figured out what was wrong theres a accelorator pump rod its round and has two lines indented in it and then a tip to hold the spring, well thats gone. So i guess i have to buy a new one:(

nm that last post I found it all. Ok so everything is put the new piolet and main and the quad pops and sputters at idle then dies. If you hit the gas at all it dies, the only thing that keeps it running is if the choke is pulled out.

where is the fuel screw set? turn it in all the way, and back it out 2 turns and give it a try, if it still does it back it out another half turn.

Also, check over your intake manifold for cracks, it's common for them to crack in the middle while you're removing and reinstalling the carb, and can cause idle problems like you're having.

It happened to me twice, you'd be surprised how much it can throw off your a/f ratio and make it run erratically. One time it was just completely random stuff happening, then the 2nd one that cracked was only messing with my midrange throttle, it would idle acceptably, and wide open was fine, but it ran like it was running out of gas in the midrange. That time it was really confusing the heck out of me, because it was acting up right after I rejetted, so I was trying all kinds of different settings before I realized that I ripped the intake manifold, then I had to start back at stock jetting and redo it because I had everything all screwed up.

well heres the deal i accedently drilled a hole in a metal tube above the fuel screw. So i put a tiny screw in to fill the hole and i think this might be whats wrong. What do you think?

How do you ACCIDENTALLY drill a hole in your carburetor? You shouldn't have a drill anywhere near it!

Anyways, did you try the fuel screw yet?

I don't know how good just a screw is going to seal the hole you ACCIDENTALLY drilled, i'd use a small dab of jb weld to fill in the hole instead, screws aren't designed to be a plug.

well i plugged the hole with jb weld and its still doing the same thing. I played with the fuel screw and nothing seems to help so i guess its the piolet jet because it at least ran before i put that in.

Latest posts

Back