Can't start Warrior, now running

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvhorn1

Reaction score
Hey guys, been lurking for about a month, first post.

I bought a 2000 Warrior from a guy I do some side work for as a project for me and my daughter. Not having much luck, first 4 wheeler I've ever had or worked on.

When I got the quad the motor was open and missing the bearing under the starter flywheel. Got it, put everything back together, no luck. the motor would spin, but nothing else. Did have a couple very loud backfires, scared everyone within 500ft, especially me and the kid :eek:. It did run for about 30 seconds after I cleaned out the carb, but it would not re start after that.

Got out the book, started checking the resistance on stator and coil, both a little out. Bought a new stator from Ricky-stator, new coil from EBAY. Installed along with new plugs, no effect. Compression is @ 150psi (quad is supposed to have piston and cam, but I do not know from where). Have spark when laid against the block, also tried another CDI (I have most of another motor and harness for the warrior) no change. Also have Super trapp exhaust, and what looks like a K&N style filter (the folded cloth type over a wire under frame)installed by previous owner.

I have also cleaned the carb, and put in fresh gas. I cannot get it to run or even try to start on starting fluid. spins over great, but will not catch, I do not have a way of trying to push/pull start it right now.

The guy i bought it from does not know much about the condition or history of quad, he took it as payment for a job when the guy had no money to pay.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jason

it sounds like a fuel issue, if you have compression and spark, all you should need is the gas. take the gas line off the carb, turn the fuel on and see if it comes running out of the tube. sometimes the fuel valve itself gets plugged.

I had checked flow before, and I have just rechecked it after I read your post. I do have flow both before the carb, and from the drain at the bottom. It will flow from both on and reserve, off will stop it.

Just for grins I hooked up a timing light to the plug, and the flashing is very erratic(SP). I may get 3 or 4 good fash flashes (I can kinda hear it timing to the pulse of the motor). Then I may get nothing for several seconds.

I tried it a few times, and do not get any patterns to the missing spark. Sometimes it sparks at first push of button then stops (motor still turning over). Sometimes the motor will turn over several times, then start sparking, then stop.

Jason

test or try swaping pickup coil sounds like its going bad

Got it running. ;D

Problem was that the Woodruff Key had sheared, and the flywheel was actually 180* out (so what showed as TDC was actually BDC)

Fixed that, then the end of the cam busted, totaled the head. Bent both valves, screwed the gear up and busted a piece of the head by the exhaust rocker arm off inside the head. :mad:

Managed to get all of that fixed with another head I had laying around, and she lives....... ;D ;D

Got to ride it around the block a few times, nice speed and response. Of course I had not hooked up the rear brakes, the rear shock is shot, and I have no clutch. Had to start it in gear, and roll with it :eek:

So now I guess I'll have to find a clutch and cable(I think it is stretched, plan on replacing it with the new clutch just to be sure). Rear shock, and need new chain and gears.

Any suggestions on the shock? I'm not looking at racing or anything like that. Probably just some beach and a little woods riding, maybe a little mud on occasion. Will any takeoff's from other ATVs fit and serve my needs? Also, I'm a big guy at 250lbs, will that make a big difference?

Suggestions on what brand clutch or chain/ gears? what about a skid for the swingarm?

Jason

I have a stock shock off an 04 I'll sell for $60 + shipping if you want.

or the stock shock from a banshee or raptor 660 will work and are adjustable.
(the banshee shock will need a little work to the air box to fit)

Great price on that shock, buy it i spent mon ths looking for one and not having 100 plus dollars to shell out. i end up with one off a yah 450 dirt bike with a little work it fitz nicely.

Back