Camshaft walk?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fknboss

Reaction score
New here. Just picked up my Warrior today. It has a tapping noise in the top end. It has a hot cam not sure of stage #. I wanted to check the chain so I pull the cover checked tension it was good but the the grabbed the cam gear and the whole cam moves in and out and clunks (left to right if your sitting on the quad). Pulled my buddies raptor 350 cover off doesn't do that. Any ideas? Any have this happen?

Kinda what I was thinking just didn't know why it's in and out.. bearing I would have thought up and down..

Both good advice^^^ Just to add, there is an inner bearing as well. If the outer is bad, the inner could have gotten damaged. Good luck replacing that one... I've done several.

Looked at a diagram on parts Zillah it doesn't show a retainer. But I'll check mine and the raptor tomorrow.

CYLINDER_HEAD.png

Yes , I have had this issue, there is an iner cam bearing and will cause the cam to shift in and out

From what it looks like the retainers are for the front bearing. Which doesn't move only the camshaft moves.

The retainer is only resting over the outer bearing race to keep the bearing+cam in the head. If the bearings or cage are worn they can still walk inside of the outer race. There is one other possibility. And that is that either the cam's bearing surface , or the inner race's I.D., are out of spec, allowing the cam to slide inside of it.

The retainer for the outer bearing is there.. The bearing doesn't move at all just the cam.. Also it only does it at like tdc which I didn't notice before do now I gotta re check my buddies.. This noise is loud and annoying I need to figure this out. I guess I'm pulling the head this weekend.. fml.

I went and ordered new bearings for the cam from yamaha I'm sure it's the bearings too. From what I can tell the outer bearing should be pressed on the cam where mine moves freely. So soon as my parts come in ill put them in and hopefully fixes my issue..

Well the front bearing I can pull off and on don't think that's normal. But the main problem the rear of the camshaft that slides into the inner bearing has worn where the bearing rides and it's higher in certain spots

Yeah the outer bearing should not do that. You should just replace that cam. Sounds rough. Also, that inner bearings blows! Done a few, have fun!

Latest posts

Back