Cam chain

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorkustom

Reaction score
How hard is this to change? I am going to start rebuilding my '01 warrior in the next week or so, getting it ready to take to silver lake. Can this be done with just the jug removed or do I have to crack open the bottom end? I really don't want to have to open the case if I don't have to.

you don't have to crack the case but you'll have to remove the stator cover and pull the flywheel to do that you'll need a flywheel puller if you don't already have one

good question.. Honestly the stock chain is super strong and if you see in that thread the D.I.D chain isn't as heavy. It should last quite a long time.
Pretty easy to tell though if you need to replace it is all you have to do is take off the tensioner. Pull the bolt at the end where the spring is so when you take it off you can see how far the rod is out on the tensioner. Mark it and then you can move it out the rest of the way by hand to see how far it's got left to move. I think mine was a little more then half way out.. then putting the new chain in had about the same, maybe a in a couple teeth.

in that tutorial for cam chain, you mentioned putting the timing back within spec or advancing it, how do you make sure the timing is in spec?

in that tutorial for cam chain, you mentioned putting the timing back within spec or advancing it, how do you make sure the timing is in spec?

Yup, I see I didn't tell how to do that! damn.
You'll take the flat bladed plug out on the top side of the engine to expose the flywheel marks. Line up the T mark on the flywheel with the hole. Next take the cam cover off. You'll see a line in the gear and then a pointer on the engine. You line those two marks up and you are set.
To just make sure the timing is set all you do is pull both covers off. Rotate the engine watching the marks and looking to make sure the both line up.

Back