Broken head motor mount and frame vibration

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave85zxt

Reaction score
A year ago I rebuilt my motor and ever since I have had an annoying vibration in the handle above 5000 rpm. Today I decided to dig into the problem. I remembered that I had to replace two broken motor mounts that connected the head to the upper frame. Well, today I removed them and the vibration went away. I have also noticed that a lot of people on this board have said that their upper motor mounts have broken. Based on this I am pretty sure that the warrior has a resonance problem between the engine and frame. I would recommend that people leave their motor mounts broken or off. I am going to try to fab up a rubber mount system for the head. I'll post pics and directions if I am successful.

My motor has no vibration problems what so ever.. at least nothing that is not normal..

I do not reccomend taking off the upper motor mount either.

If you don't have a vibration problem in the handlebars then I agree that you should leave it alone. If I leave my upper motor mounts on then it is only a matter of time before they fail again from high cycle fatigue (trust me I do this for a living). Therefore, I figure its better to take them off and make a rubber mount system before they fail. If I don't I'll just have to buy another set to make a rubber mount system.

The rubber won't melt if the right type is selected and put in the right place. I have been involved in the design of a number of rubber engine mount systems for air cooled engines.

My Warrior is an 87 (first year) so I am guessing this may be a problem that was solved on later years. I wish I could compare frames between an 87 and ~2000 quad. I would bet that a few well placed gussets or other small changes could eliminate the resonance that I am seeing.

Very true... A rubber mount system could solve the problem... as long as you have something holding it you should be ok. But i dont reccomend have nothing in place.

If you don't have a vibration problem in the handlebars then I agree that you should leave it alone. If I leave my upper motor mounts on then it is only a matter of time before they fail again from high cycle fatigue (trust me I do this for a living). Therefore, I figure its better to take them off and make a rubber mount system before they fail. If I don't I'll just have to buy another set to make a rubber mount system.

The rubber won't melt if the right type is selected and put in the right place. I have been involved in the design of a number of rubber engine mount systems for air cooled engines.

My Warrior is an 87 (first year) so I am guessing this may be a problem that was solved on later years. I wish I could compare frames between an 87 and ~2000 quad. I would bet that a few well placed gussets or other small changes could eliminate the resonance that I am seeing.

What would you liked checked? I have both the 87 and the 2000. I haven't really checked the frame differences to much but from just a quick glance the a-arms mounting is different. the front of the frame is angled down more on the 87, and a couple of plates that are on my 2000 are not on the 87. Plus all the incomplete welds on the 87 are even scarier than the incompletes on my 2000. let me know what specifically you would liked compared. Also the rubber mount would be easy to do. You leave the metal mount connected to the engine and use the rubber between the mount and the frame.

Just a couple of pictures of the front frame from the side, top and an angle or two. It would be great if you could take the tank off. That way I could see all of the structure up front.

What a fucken coincidence, started up the warrior today and the handlebars were vibrating like crazy, looked an one of the upper motor mounts are broken :mad: I'm gona take it off and have it welded and put it back on there.

Try taking them both off and run the engine. See if the handle bars still vibrate.

Just a couple of pictures of the front frame from the side, top and an angle or two. It would be great if you could take the tank off. That way I could see all of the structure up front.
Well its going to be a little while now, we just got hit with a good snow storm. My quads are stored under a tarp outside so im going to have to wait for the weather to clear up again.

Latest posts

Back