Broken exhaust stud on head, is welding possible?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookie monsta

Reaction score
hello friends i have a question pertaining too the exhaust stud. Would it be possible too weld a new exhaust stud into the head. And if so what special tools would be needed or what kind of price range would i be looking at to have a professional welder to repair it. When i purchased the atv it had a broken stud in the head, when i tried to tap it and remove it a small portion of the head broke off. but there should still be enough too fix it if it is welded. Or if it can be welded. Any help would be great.

Pics of broken spot? I would NOT reccomend welding it, unless you got it resurfaced as well,

You need to remove it or drill it out and replace it with another stud, welding it isn't a good idea IMO

If its the aluminum that the stud screws into that's broken, it might be a tough one to weld. If that's the case I would look for another head.
If its just the stud, it will eventually come out it just takes some creative patience.

You guys are forgetting the easiest way to fix it. Use JBWeld. I have both of mine JBwelded and it has held for a long time. Will cost you about five bucks to fix it. JBWeld is drillable and tapable. I would not use the quick weld though. Go with the regular that takes 24 hours to cure. Once you have it tapped, use red locktite on the studs when you put them back in. You should have no problems after that.

You guys are forgetting the easiest way to fix it. Use JBWeld. I have both of mine JBwelded and it has held for a long time. Will cost you about five bucks to fix it. JBWeld is drillable and tapable. I would not use the quick weld though. Go with the regular that takes 24 hours to cure. Once you have it tapped, use red locktite on the studs when you put them back in. You should have no problems after that.

BS!! I work in a machine shop and I can assure you that JB weld is not strong enough to use for thread repair. Definitely not strong enough for exhaust. We use the stuff all the time and it is not strong enough for a lot of repairs. Post a pic of the damage. Like said if the stud is just broken off in there, it can be removed and the hole helicoiled if needed. We do helicoils on all kinds of stuff daily and it or Timeserts are the only reliable way to repair that kind of damage.

Not BS. Many people on this forum and others have used JBWeld for the header studs. Works every time. Obviously you aren't going to believe me regardless of what I say, but it works if done correctly. Considering he said only a small piece broke off, the JBWeld is more than strong enough to fill in a slight gap in material to rethread. I am not talking about making the entire section out of JBWeld and tapping it. I use it to reinforce what is already there.

Last edited:
It won't do anything to reenforce it either. I does not take high heat very well. JB Weld has its place but does not work in areas that will see stress. Works great for sealing holes after chain breaks and similar repairs. You have to remember that JB Weld is not much more than epoxy with a filler to add some strength.

Well like I said, I have personally seen it work for this application. For years. I am not just talking out of my ass here. I would not suggest something if I didn't know 100% that it would work.

Whatever dude. I have been in the machine shop industry since 1986. In that time we have used JB Weld for any number of attempted repairs with a higher failure rate than success. Heat some of it up to exhaust temp and see what the result is. The area of the exhaust studs is the hottest point in the exhaust circuit and JB Weld is useless anywhere on exhaust. Now we have used it on the intake side of automotive heads with great success but the heat there is considerably less.

I am just trying to help out a guy with a simple, cheap solution that I know works. It does not matter to me if you think it will work or if he will try it. Either way, I know it works for this on these motors. What's the worst he could lose if it does not work as I said? 5 bucks and a bit of time.

Ok ok wait hold the **** up! Midway USA your argument is invalid. I've seen headers on cars repaired with jbweld and when mixed with steel wool it holds up. So you cannot say it won't hold up to the heat. You've been in the MACHINE shop industry not the AUTOMOTIVE industry since 1986. So that argument is invalid. That just makes it unnesisary information. Now stop thread derailing ok? It's getting ridiculous somebody has to derail every effing thread. Stop your arguments in threads and do it in PMs where nobody can see it. Ok?
And before you guys start blurting out BS this and BS that, try and remember that you have to LET THE OP DECIDE WHAT THEY WANT TO DO!

Alex you are awefully ballsy for a youngster with no experience behind you. If you guys want to try and repair your exhaust with JB Weld go for it. We have tried it. We have tried many similar epoxy repair products. IT WILL NOT REPAIR THREADS!!! IT WILL NOT HOLD UP AROUND EXHAUST HEAT. Mix some of it up and hit it with 800 or so degrees of heat and see what happens to it.

Well first off the hottest the exhaust on a warrior gets is about 400* and the maximum temp threshold of jbweld is about 600 degrees, so again your argument is invalid. The way to repair the broken stud hole is to mix jbweld with steel wool then you fill the hole with it and the surrounding area. Then drill a hole in it then helicoil. It work I've seen it work at least 20 times. So don't try your bullshit "this ain't gonna work cause I'm a machinist" crap on me. Been there done it. Yeah I'm ballsy for a 15 year old. You know why? I know my ****.

If we did a repair in our shop like that, we would never have another customer. Do it however you want I am done arguing with know it all's. I guess my 22 years of automotive machining, welding, and mechanic work is all a lie now. I am so glad someone put me in my place. NOT!!

Well you know what, this is not a shop. I wouldn't pay to get a job half ass done and neither would you. I'm not paying to get this done and neither is he. Most people don't have to have it perfect. When you can fix something without paying big bucks and use some INGENUITY to fix something easily. Thank you for your input and have a beautiful night. Cause no matter what you say your a 46 year old arguing with a 15 year old on the Internet. What's the point? Get this guys quad fixed as fast as possible and get him back on the trails. Easy peasy.

Latest posts

Back