Break in procedure?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heat Cycles.

Start her up and ride her around a little bit tell she is nice and hot (a min or so going no more then 50% throttle); turn her off and let her sit over night and cool all the way down. Then start her up again and just go out and ride. You want to put some load on the motor (hills, some quick acceleration, downshifting, a few WOT short bursts - just ride "normal" with no extended periods of full throttle. When you get a few hours on the new piston riding with care then you can ride it like you stole it.

***DO NOT BREAK A NEW PISTON/RINGS IN WITH ANY SYNTHETIC OIL - CONVENTIONAL MOTOR OIL ONLY***

let it warm up for a good while ideling anen take it out and run it 1/4 throotle for a while not over then1/2 and repeat 5/8 then change the oil then its broke in after changing the oil 1/8 for 5 minits then its fully brok in good method ive used for yeard now good results

let it warm up for a good while ideling anen take it out and run it 1/4 throotle for a while not over then1/2 and repeat 5/8 then change the oil then its broke in after changing the oil 1/8 for 5 minits then its fully brok in good method ive used for yeard now good results

No do not idle that is the worst thing you can do; the rings seat with in about the first 10 minutes and you dont want it to be idling during this process (the first ten minutes are very important to break in). You want to put load on the motor. Do the above in my post then drop the oil after a good 5 hours of "taking it easy riding". Then change and ride on the new regular oil for a while and after about 20 hours you can run full Synthetic.

very true.....need some pressure on the rings to open them up and allow them to seat properly....after 15 mins rings wont seat properly

I do not know for sure if it is that different for break in, but I consistently build and run 7-800 hp big blocks in my boat. They lead the type of abused life as ATVs. Constant revving, beating the crap out of them. i agree that you should not idle for the first 10-20 mins on the bike. actually what happens is that you are sitting still and the engine is not efficiently cooling so the rings and new piston/s expand faster than you want thus causing premature wear. You should alternate rpm range with no extended periods at any given range. I personally give a 20 min oil change and then at about 4-5 hours change again and then beat the hell out of it. Like I said once more, warrior and 540 chevy stroker are on different plains but both four strokes going through a rough life. It costs me 15,000 for a good build on my boat so I think this type of break in would be OK!!!! PLus I agree on natural oil for break in!!!!

I do not know for sure if it is that different for break in, but I consistently build and run 7-800 hp big blocks in my boat. They lead the type of abused life as ATVs. Constant revving, beating the crap out of them. i agree that you should not idle for the first 10-20 mins on the bike. actually what happens is that you are sitting still and the engine is not efficiently cooling so the rings and new piston/s expand faster than you want thus causing premature wear. You should alternate rpm range with no extended periods at any given range. I personally give a 20 min oil change and then at about 4-5 hours change again and then beat the hell out of it. Like I said once more, warrior and 540 chevy stroker are on different plains but both four strokes going through a rough life. It costs me 15,000 for a good build on my boat so I think this type of break in would be OK!!!! PLus I agree on natural oil for break in!!!!

Yeah pretty much you and I agree - when I say "take it easy" riding for 4-5 hours I mean just not pinning the ******* thing out or beating the crap out of it; alternating RPMs through out the entire range is 100% correct and acceptable.

Yeah, cometic. just bought one. Way cheaper than yamaha factory and seems to be equal if not better quality.

Back