boring?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98-warrior

Reaction score
okay a few months ago i got my je 366 and sent the head to the small engine shop. he said i needed to pring the piston in so he could finish it up. i did and got it all back together.. and you have to chrome the sleeve right? it looked like he just honed it after he bored it. so im just makin sure you chrome the sleeves on 4 strokes? i will be really mad if he said he didnt cause i got it all put back together.

No chroming. Never heard of doing that. Bore then hone is correct.

old 2 smokes had crome sleeves and wernt supposed to be bored out like my cr250, but they can be resleeved with a standard sleeve so you can bore them out. That is what was done for me

IIRC, nikasil/chrome bores were used for their superior heat transfer properties compared an iron liner. And since the chrome was much harder and scratch resistant than the piston/rings, if the bike did injest some nasties the piston was "supposed" to be the sacrificial lamb. If you were unlucky enough to scratch the jug, it was recommended to be replaced (mo' $$$ for the manufacturers). Resleeving was/is the short road home for the regular guy on a beer budget and allows serviceability that chrome doesn't give.

Latest posts

Back