best air filter

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
i bought a warrior the other day, now im pretty much going through everything and giving it a full tune up. the air filter was shot, so i went to the dealer and picked one up, surprisingly they were pretty cheap at the dealer. from the looks of what i received in the package, and what the parts guy told me, it doesnt come with the little foam piece that goes between the filter guide and the air box, which is a problem because the foam is pretty much all deteriorated on mine. its not available by itself , i would have to buy the whole filter guide. looks like its cheaper to go aftermarket. so first question is am i better off with the uni filter or with the k&n drop in with outerwares?

in order to run the uni filter do i need a filter adapter as well or does it slide over the filter guide?

if i need the filter guide is there any reason to go with the moose one or would the plastic ones on ebay work just as well?

You will receive a lot of different answers on this question. Personally I prefer the K&N filter that drops in the air box. If you want to save some money, go to your local hardware store and pick up some foam rubber about the same thickness as the original foam and cut a piece to fit or use the foam rubber weather strip with one sticky side and piece it to fit. I used the foam rubber cut to fit before I went back to using K&N. Lots of members use Uni filters and love them, I ,however, couldn't get mine to run right using a Uni. The Uni I tried was a pod style that I mounted directly to the back of the carb. So maybe the way I used it was incorrect, I don't know. The Uni was a 3.5 inch by 6 inch 2 foam filter. But I do use K&N and it works great for me. It all comes down to preference and what you are willing to spend. You may want to look into modding the air box lid also.

Last edited:
Frit91's answer pretty much summed it up, Everyone's got different opinions however I too like the Prodesign plate and K/N setup I have been running it for well over 2 years no problems at all. With my 686 build I bought both a Prodesign filter same as a UNI, And I bought a K/N just to see if they was any difference, The K/N pulls more air I can tell but also gets dirtier quicker. I run Outerwears also on both of my quads no lids also.

You will receive a lot of different answers on this question. Personally I prefer the K&N filter that drops in the air box. If you want to save some money, go to your local hardware store and pick up some foam rubber about the same thickness as the original foam and cut a piece to fit or use the foam rubber weather strip with one sticky side and piece it to fit. I used the foam rubber cut to fit before I went back to using K&N. Lots of members use Uni filters and love them, I ,however, couldn't get mine to run right using a Uni. The Uni I tried was a pod style that I mounted directly to the back of the carb. So maybe the way I used it was incorrect, I don't know. The Uni was a 3.5 inch by 6 inch 2 foam filter. But I do use K&N and it works great for me. It all comes down to preference and what you are willing to spend. You may want to look into modding the air box lid also.

thats actually a pretty good idea. i might give that a shot for now. the quad already has a dg pipe on it. im assuming if i go with an aftermarket filter and drill the box im going to have to jet the carb, right?

I run a K&N drop in filter on my 88 and i made a hole air tube and used a K&N filter for a car on my 01, trust me the 01 sucks air like a beast!!

that cfm box is really nice. thanks for the heads up.

@DannyMK2, in response to you asking about changing jets if you switch filters and drill holes in the lid, I cut out the top of my lid and when using the K&N, i run a 47.5 pilot and 150 main. When running the stock air filter with no mods, it ran good with a 45 pilot and 145 main. When using the Uni filter, remember that I mounted it straight to the carb, I had to use a 45 pilot and 145 main. So yes, you will probably need to re jet. If you are pulling in more air, you will need more fuel.

does the cfm box really offer more than the prodesign filter adapter?

The cfm box is real nice but if you don't want to spend the coin, just get the pro flo adapter and k&n with an outerwears. The clamp on style has a better seal and you can run with no lid and yes you'll need to rejet. You wanted more power anyway, right. lol

I use K&N and epoxied the adapter to the box with wurth 2 part epoxy works good. I also got one of those K&N socks. Those cfm boxes are sick.

Got one on my warrior and yfz. :) UNI filter in the warrior K&N in yfz.

yea im gonna go the with the cfm box in the future but for right now im just going to run the stock filter an get a piece of foam for it so it seals up good. thanks for all the input guys.

Back