Backfire on my new 450

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsxguy77

Reaction score
OK, so I got a brand new Wolverine 450 and so far the only mod I have installed is a new exhaust cap with a removed spark arrestor.

It has backfired a total of maybe 3 times since doing that over the past few weeks. It is rare when it happens but I still dont like it. I will be getting my new K&N Air filter and my Jet kit Friday. I was thinking it could be an issue with the exhaust cap and it needing to be rejetted?

WellI will be doing that this weekend, but I wanted to see if you guys thought that was the problem.

You can see it backfire at 2:30 in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlQdEVIFPS0

Most machines are jetted a bit lean from the factory for emissions reasons. I bet after you rejet, you'll be OK.

My 07 Does it, same as a Friends 07 Kodiak.. its running Lean

#1....yeah definitely sounds like its running lean....
#2....hit the throttle son..... :eek:

My 07 Wolverine will do it normally if i run the same throttle for a long period f time - we have a few old access roads we run that are 3 and 4 miles long, we travel up them doing about 30-35mph and when i let off the throttle it backfires.. same as the kodiak.

ok going to sound like a idiot here, but if it is running lean, do you just go bigger jet, and if so, what size, i have a 06 450 with k & n and the bigger exhaust cap...looking for cheap mods.....

Well my K&N is arriving today by UPS along with a Jet Kit, so once I get them isntalled Ill have the same mods as you and Ill let you know what difference the Jet kit makes.

fireman69 said:
ok going to sound like a idiot here, but if it is running lean, do you just go bigger jet, and if so, what size, i have a 06 450 with k & n and the bigger exhaust cap...looking for cheap mods.....

Check out HMF and FMF's site. They usually have jetting charts that list what jets to run with their pipes. It's a pretty decent baseline for engines modified with the usual bolt ons.

Well I got my new air filter installed. I also have the Jet Kit sitting on my desk waiting to go in. anyway, the instructions kind of suck. I dont know where my carb is. Can anyone point me in the right direction to put this thing in? I guess the instructions are good once I get to the part I need to work on, but I have no idea where to look for the carb. Thanks!

tsxguy77 said:
Well I got my new air filter installed. I also have the Jet Kit sitting on my desk waiting to go in. anyway, the instructions kind of suck. I dont know where my carb is. Can anyone point me in the right direction to put this thing in? I guess the instructions are good once I get to the part I need to work on, but I have no idea where to look for the carb. Thanks!

DUDE STEP AWAY FROM THE MACHINE........... :shock:
I will try to give as best directions as I can........In 4 easy steps...
#1---Clean wheeler as best as you can....esp. under the seat area and top of motor.
#2----Load wheeler on truck/trailer....whichever you have.
#3---Take it to the dealer......
#4---Pay and take home and ride....

Honestly if you don't know WHERE the carb is you may not want to "Learn" by trial and error.....could get very exspensive if you screw up......
I am all for doing what you can to maintain your toys......but.....my 5 yr old son knows what the carb is.........start by reading some books/manuals on small engine repairs.....

No way am I taking it into the dealer. All I need is someone to point me in the right direction. Just because I dont know where it is does not mean I cant figure it out. I can do a lot of repairs when it comes to cars and my sportbike, but this is a little new.

Anyway, Ill look somewhere else. Not enough traffic in this forum.

Best way on the 450 is to remove the gas tank and gas tank plastics.

You can do it with everything on the quad but it is a little tricky to manuver everything with them on there. Just look under the gas tank and you will see the carbwhere it connects to the engine and the airbox with a rubber boot on each end.

You will need some metric allen keys to loosen the clamps on the boots to allow you to twist the carb, and you will need a phillps screwdriver to remove the float bowl, and a slotted screwdriver to replace the jets inside the bowl.

Latest posts

Back