back up light

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireman69

Reaction score
well i just installed a back up light on my '06 450, after last weeks night ride, a grizzly and artic cat prowler rollover, i decided i needed more light.....i wired it into the reverse indicator with a relay.....so it comes on automaticly when in reverse....very easy and looks good too....

I was just thinking about this last weekend and had not got around to finding my rev. switch, if you could do a post on the how to I would love to see it as well.

well there may be an easier way to do it but i tapped into the rev. indicator light on my display, which was tricky cuz i found out after i tore into everything that the light is a pos. grounded switch, let me tell you, i had to scratch my head for a few to figure out how to wire my relay. The relay was a 30 Amp that is used for aftermarket elec. fans ($8.99 u.s.), it was really easy, i mounted the realy with the others under seat, gave it power, wired it to the R indicator. the trick is that you take the neg from the relay to the indicator,(ill let u know which color wire later) then the two positive to the batt. then a power wire from the relay to the b/u light and a ground from b/u light to the batt. i should have put in a 3 way toggle so i could flip between ON/OFF/AUTO so i could screw with the guys following me and so it could be turned off unless it was dark......but ill just pop the fuse out untill its night ride time for now.....

Alright, I've been screwing with this setup since last December, and still cant get it to work. I've got a five prong relay generally used for a set of foglights, the two horizontal poles at the top are numbered 87 and 87A ( these are the pos. out to the lights), the left vertical pole is number 86 ( the 'trigger' input), right vertical is number 85 ( ground), and the vertical on the bottom is number 30 ( the positive source from the battery). Are you saying that you ran a trigger wire from the dash indicator lamp to #86, and grounded the relay #85 back to the dash indicator lamp, so the trigger and ground circuit are completed when you shift into reverse, and left the power source from the battery at #30 and ran a positive output from either #87 or #87A to the back up light? I know its a pain in the @$$ to understand, I tried to draw what I'm saying on the Paint program, cant make it show up on here, I hate computers.....

LIGHTS

WELL I FOUND MY SCRIBBLED JIBBERISH ON A PEICE OF PAPER, SOUNDS LIKE WE HAVE THE SAME RELAY SO HERE IS WHAT I DID.

87- THE POSITIVE FEED TO THE AUX. LIGHT

87a- NOT USED

85- TO THE WIRE THAT MAKES THE REV. LIGHT COME ON BY THE KEY (LIGHT BLUE IF I REMEMBER RIGHT)

30/86- BOTH TO THE POS. ON YOUR BATTERY

YOUR BASICLY MAKING THE RELAY WORK BY GETTING GROUNDED, NOT BY GETTING POWER.....YOU HAVE TO DO THIS BECAUSE THAT IS HOW THE REVERSE INDICATOR LIGHT WORKS......HOPE THIS HELPS....IF NOT GIVE ME A SHOUT AND ILL TAKE OF SOME PLASTIC TO MAKE SURE HOW I DID IT *****THE REV. INDICATOR LIGHT/WIRE COULD BE DIFF. DUE TO MODEL DIFF.

No, the damned thing does not work yet. :x I've tried what you described, I tried a thousand various combinations, you're sure you have both 30 and 86 going to the '+' on the battery? I'm thinking about cutting the dash lamp wire, running the hot end to #86 (trigger) and the other end from #85(ground) to the lamp , so when I shift to reverse and complete my ground, it should trigger the relay to close, completing the circuit from #30(battery +) to the backup light. I may even throw in a diode or two to keep the current going in the right direction. :roll: I'll try this out, maybe get back to you tomorrow if this works out or not...[/img]

NOT SURE OF ANY OF THAT AT THE TIME, I WAS GOING OFF MEMORY AND SCIBBLES ON A SHEET OF PAPER, I WAS AT THE FIRE STATION THAT NIGHT, IM AT HOME NOW, ILL GO LOOK AND POST FOR SURE IN A LITTLE WHILE

YES THAT IS HOW I DID IT, BUT KEEP IN MIND THE YEAR DIFF. MY B/U INDICATOR SWITCH IS HOT ALL THE TIME, AND WHEN YOU PUT IT IN REVERSE IT MAKES THE GROUND, I BELIVE THIS IS REFERED TO AS A POS. GROUNDING SYSTEM, IF YOURS IS GROUNDED AND YOU MAKE THE POS CONNECTION BY PUTTING IT IN GEAR YOU WILL HAVE TO WIRE IT AS FOLLOWS.
87A- NOT USED
87- POWER TO THE B/U LIGHT
86- GROUND TO BATT. NEG SIDE
30- POWER FROM THE BATT. POS SIDE
85- FROM THE POWER WIRE AROUND THE KEY THAT BECOMES HOT WHEN YOU GO INTO REVERSE.

YOU NEED TO ISOLATE THE WIRE THAT RUNS YOUR INDICATOR LIGHT ON YOUR CONSOLE AND FIGURE OUT IF IT IS HOT ONLY WHEN IN REVERSE OR NOT.......IF IT WOULD BE EASIER YOU CAN CALL ME IF YOU NEED TO AT 479-883-6014 COREY

I HAD TO GET THE DIRECTIONS FROM THE GUYS AT THE PARTS STORE, THEY SAID THERE WAS A RECALL ON THE 30 AMP RELAYS DUE TO WRONG DIRECTIONS, LIKE SOME 100,000 THAT WAS WRONG, MAYBE YOU HAVE A SET OF THE BAD DIRECTIONS.....TRY IT LIKE I LAST POSTED AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.....

Got it. Same set up as yours, a pos. ground indicator light, and it didnt matter which way I wired it it wouldnt work. So, I finally ripped the relay open, sure enough the one terminal wasn't soldered on. $9.99 @ Radio Shack and I'm in business! Thanks for the help and suggestions.

got mine installed now with a shut off switch so that I dont have to worry about it coming on in the day time but for night time I can have it turned on so that I will have an auto reverse light.

Working on another kit right now for ebay sales hopefully I will get it listed tomorrow.

Back