asphalt/flat track tires

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rktscnc

Reaction score
I bought an '07 450 Wolvy SE this last winter. One of the things I'll be using it for is running around the pits at the drag races and maybe pulling my car to and through the pits.
Anyway, I was thinking of putting on some asphalt or hard pack tires and polished wheels. I like the ITP SS wheels and the only tires I've found so far are the Duro Scorchers and Top Fighter, maybe the HF245 or HF247 would be better all around.
I really like the look of the Scorchers and Top Fighters. That's mostly what I'm going for, looks. I'm kinda going for a kind of road race or even a sprint car look. I know I'm using totally the wrong quad for this but you work with what you've got. It would also be nice not to wear out the knobbys on the asphalt.
I thought I could swap wheels/tires from stockers to the new ones I get as conditions/needs warrant.
One of my questions is what size wheel and tire to get? 23"'s are so hard to find. Should I go up to 25's, or down to 20, 21 or 22's?. I've read on here about people "losing power" going up to a 25 and I understand that. But if I go shorter will it over-rev or lose a lot of top speed when I really get after it?
I'm considering going with a wider than stock rear wheel/tire combo (for the look again). Is that going to hurt me as much as going up in tire diameter.
I know this all sounds a little crazy, but....
Let me know what you think, good, bad or otherwise. You won't hurt my feelings.

And sorry so long winded.

I was goin to post a response about the tires, but have dialup (i know, i know...) at home. Tomorrow when I get a minute at work, I will take a look at the options you have and give $.02 Same with the wheels.

As far as size goes, a smaller tire might not be a bad idea, easier to get rolling, easier to pull a drag car around. No sense worrying too much about top speed, as that is supposed to be left to the car ;) Best bet is definitely 2 sets of tires/rims, swapping tires on and off of rims would get old real quick.

The tires will be used a little more than just pulling the car around. I'll 'try' them on most surfaces except mud and sand of course just to see how they feel. Should be some fun sliding around on the right surfaces. Should be fun tires for hard surface drags.

I wish there were more 23's available.

One thing I like about the wheels is I can get in 12x7 for the front and 12x8 for the rear. The ITP SS's are probably my faves but they're all 12x7. It's only 1" so idk...

Here's a discussion about them with pics.
http://forums.atvconnection.com/messageview.cfm/catid/18/threadid/389186.cfm

Here's they're website http://www.visionwheel.com/default.aspx?id=84

Thanks

I like the look of the Top Fighter tires, and would say to go with the 25" if you are worried about losing top speed. In the Vision wheels, I think I would like the looks of the machined look with clear coat for some reason. As far as making up power difference, toss a pipe and intake on there and you would about break even for all intense purposes. 2" of overall tire on a lighter weight wheel is not a huge difference

$.02

Thanks for your reply.
I still can't make up my mind on 22" or 25" tires. The 22's use a 9" wheel... so then I'd have to find another set of wheels. I don't know??

Just my opinion, take it for what it is worth, but I would say stick with 25" Like I said, it won't be a huge difference in power lost and weight gained and you will gain top speed in addition

As far as the tire size I would go with the 25" adding the pipe and intake. If you dont car about noise level get the pipe with the most flow possible. This will give you the most power. Don't forget to rejet the card.

Thanks for your replies guys. I ordered them today. Hopefully I can post pics when I get them mounted.

Now I'm thinking exhaust and intake.

I like the GYTR because it seems to not be too loud. But the price on the HMF is a little less painful.

Intake? I have no clue. Does anyone even make one for an '07 450? I do know I hate cleaning and re-oiling a K&N filter. I have them on my street and drag car and I don't like it. I'm glad they don't need cleaning often. I think a foam filter would be a little easier.?.?

Thoughts and opinions are more than welcome.

Thanks again

Back