Anybody own a Polaris Sportsman 500?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crap condition and year for the price and those are JUUUUUNNNNNNKKKKKKK! that is all i got to say.

Not sure about the older ones but i tried out an 05 when i bought my can-am and they are WEAK........ I went to buy the 500 polaris, when I tried it out I tod the salesman it was weak thats when he turned me onto the 400 outlander its a 400 and would SMOKE the 500 polaris... I asked him why he said they were a 500 engine on the 800 frame thats how they were being made in 06 any of the polaris were a 800 frame with differnt engines

I got to ride a 500HO for a trip a couple years ago when my warrior broke down. (stator) Could take a honda 680fi by a hair. Pretty good ride for what he bought it for 2k I think.
I thought it rode like a caddy.

Not a bike I would buy. Never been a Polaris fan, but, they can be a pain to work on because of their engineering, and their idea of wiring is migrain causing. Get a Honda foreman 500 4x4 or Yamaha 500 4x4. Can't go wrong with either, and won't have to do anything but normal maintinance for a long while.

Yeah I'm leaning more towards a Grizzly. Too bad there aren't good deal Grizzly 500's around here...

i loved the sportsman 500 i had! lock that bitch in 4wd and it's gonna go or break one! i had 29" silverbacks on mine and it has PLENTY of ass behind it

Well, you do weigh what? 120 sopping wet? That's tons lighter then most of us on here!^^^ lol. I'd expect it to have some ass behind it with you on it.

Sportsmans are a great series. Not to hard to work on but Polairs parts can be pricey and you have to remove a lot to do a little on them.

We sold my dads 97 scrambler 500 4x4 for an 03 Sportsman 700. Best quad decision we've made yet. Its a fuggin beast of a utility.

I still really like my 96' 400 Scrambler 4x4.
Not the fanciest quad out there, but I got it cheap. It hasn't given me any troubles other than the starter, and front chain. (I ride the **** out of it to!!)

Yeah, those older two piece Polaris starters can suck. Either the starter motor goes out, or the drive goes out.

Yeah, those older two piece Polaris starters can suck. Either the starter motor goes out, or the drive goes out.
Yah I read a deal about them failing pretty regular.. The bendix was gone in mine, but I just replaced the whole starter anyway.

the polaris twins have crank issues big time dean

Yupp, already crossed that bridge. Replaced the entire system with the new one. It was pricey but the only way to go. The company that made the original one went out of business, so we upgraded and its be perfect since.

Yupp, already crossed that bridge. Replaced the entire system with the new one. It was pricey but the only way to go. The company that made the original one went out of business, so we upgraded and its be perfect since.

Oh.....hang on. You mean crank as in crank, not crank as in starting. Hahahaha Ok, I'kk keep this in mind. We did have the head off (because the previouse owner warped it) to mill it back down, and checked the cranks then, seemed nice and solid in there.

Is it the crank itself that goes or bad bearings?

i have heard about the cranks in these walking side to side in the cases, getting out balance, the rod pins failing , and total failing cranks as well as the 100's of bad crank bearing for the lucky ones that catch them in time

Latest posts

Back