anybody have knowledge on vintage yz490s?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warriorfreak99

Reaction score
Found an old yz490 buried in an older man's garage who lives near me, asked him if he'd sell it and he said he'd get back with me. He told me it was bored 0.070 over and the first few times he rode it it scared him so he parked it. Lol, going back to mow his yard in the morning and i'll probably make an offer. Nevertheless anybody have any knowledge on the old bikes? I'd like to restore it and upgrade a few things like modern suspension etc, any and all comments welcome and appreciated

Not for you dude. You will hurt yourself, and bad. Not a beginners or average riders bike. They have an unpredictable powerband.

Seriously those things will have way more power than you or I and most people here can handle.

Still might get it if I can get it at a decent price. I've always been a really cautious rider anyway, but I was afraid somebody would say that

Sent from my SCH-S950C using Tapatalk 2

There isn't a "cautious" on this bike though. It's more like-1/4 throttle-wow this thing isn't as fast as I thought-1/2 throttle-still not fast-3/4 throttle- starting to pick up- WOT- *rockets away*

Believe Alex, I had one when I was 14. Dumbest thing I have ever done. It was fun till it makes you **** yourself. I bought mine from a mechanic that did the White City Hill Climb, it was mean and I ended up with 2 broken arms at the same time. It's really not a bad deal if you dont mind someone else wiping ur ass for you or holding your dick so you can pee. Restore and sell it, maybe putt it around the yard a bit but respect it.

Believe Alex, I had one when I was 14. Dumbest thing I have ever done. It was fun till it makes you **** yourself. I bought mine from a mechanic that did the White City Hill Climb, it was mean and I ended up with 2 broken arms at the same time. It's really not a bad deal if you dont mind someone else wiping ur ass for you or holding your dick so you can pee. Restore and sell it, maybe putt it around the yard a bit but respect it.

I thought about an engine swap as well but that'd be a bitch.

Sent from my SCH-S950C using Tapatalk 2

YZ465 owner right here, the 465 is considered by many the better between them and the 490 but they're both ANIMALS!!! They aren't for you unless you have balls like King KONG and a steel plated ass bc you'll need both. It's not just the power either, you have to be able to RIDE that bike, it's old, suspension design is old, it's heavier than newer dirtbikes and they have drum brakes. Those old bikes will get you killed and just when you feel comfortable on it and think you've got it......it will buck your ass off like a bull! Believe me, I have scars on my back to prove it!!

Latest posts

Back