Any members of the 12:1 club here?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriofreak911

Reaction score
Well I just ordered a JE 12:1 piston. I was just wondering how you liked them and if a mix of race gas was ok to run. I was just going to get one of their 10.75:1 but I really don't ride as much as I used to so I just decided to get a 12:1 and run race gas. God don't ya just love that smell.

I've heard of guys running just 93 octane with the 12:1 without any problems (dswarrior is one), a 50/50 mix of race gas and 93 would be a good compromise probably, there's no reason you can't mix different grades of fuel.

You want to run the lowest octane number possible, otherwise not all of the fuel is burned and you'll lose the power that compression would normally give you. Try just running a very good premium and then a small mix of race gas in with the premium if you have detonation. You shouldn't have to run half and half, that would probably put you near or over 100 octane. Another big factor is the ignition your running in there, if it's the stock cdi you'll be fine, and if you run more advance you'll need a bit higher of an octane number. To stop detonation you can retard the ignition slightly.

I've heard of guys running just 93 octane with the 12:1 without any problems (dswarrior is one), a 50/50 mix of race gas and 93 would be a good compromise probably, there's no reason you can't mix different grades of fuel.

I run 94 octane with no problems so far. But its also a little colder, on a hot day detonation might be a problem. I do feel much safer when mixing it. Last time i mixed it i went 1 gallon on c12 (108 motor octane, actual octane may fall under 100) and then filled it up on 93. It ran its best like that, and no you just cant beat that smell, even when mixing it, you can still smell it pretty dang good. But just to be safe it doesnt hurt to mix it and adjust your carb accordingly. I am currently trying to get a bigger needle for my edelbrock, it seems as if it wants a little more fuel up top, and im just about out of needle adjustment with the 20E. 21 should be just about perfect. But i dont find it much of a hassle to run high octane, just nobodfy can give you gas unless they are running the same, most people around here run 87 and i wouldnt even put that in my warrior stock. But thats just me and many people wont agree.

If you put the midgrade or premium in there stock there is a ton of excess fuel that doesn't get fully burned, very messy in the cylinder. The stock motor had a touch more power with regular since the compression sucked balls. :(

If you put the midgrade or premium in there stock there is a ton of excess fuel that doesn't get fully burned, very messy in the cylinder. The stock motor had a touch more power with regular since the compression sucked balls. :(

This is true but my warrior was always jetted lean when i first got it, didnt know much about jetting and such with 4 strokes. So running the higher grades my have saved my motor somewhat.

Ok awesome dswarrior the only problem I worry about is if I go on a trail which I like to and I run low on gas. I'm building a custom aluminum gas carrier in my shop class so I will be limited to stock tank mixed 93/110 plus the straight 110 octane and a mix at the nearest gas station. If that makes any sense. What octane would a mix half and half be between 92/110.

Half and half should be 101 octane shouldn't it?

Im not sure, but i do know that there is a diffrence between actual octane and motor octane. Id say since the race gas is a little more concentrated, it may take more to lower the octane. 1 gallon of race gas an fill it on regular 92 is what i do. That way im getting it a little lower. But also there is oxigenated (sp?) race gas leaded, and unleaded. With race gas instead of black carbon, you get greyish carbon because of the lead id suppose. But its complicated, id find one and just stick to it. There is VP red, its like 98 octane or so and vp claims it safe up to 13:1. That would enable you to run straight race gas. If i do remember right its the cheapest fuel you can buy from VP. C12 here costs 7.25 a gallon. Hits the wallet hard hence why i mix.

You probably don't need to run the mix, you might be able to just use a concentrated octane booster like the stuff NX sells, that'll probably do the trick. You should only have to boost up the octane by a little bit if you're not running a much more advanced timing curve. You're right, that **** hits your wallet very hard!!!

Race fuel and pump gas should not be mixed because there is additives and preservatives in pump gas unlike race gas has no presevatives. I mix vp c12, u2, and u4 and bumped my jetting up 4 sizes and it makes an unbelsivable difference in throttle response and power.

Back