Air box lid mod. Which one is MOST EFFECTIVE.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barncat

Reaction score
I deal with airflow on a daily basis, and have a few questions about the Lid Mod, that I am looking for input on.

- mod1: 6 1" holes drilled in lid, with 6 separate filters.
- Mod2: Overpriced Outerwears Pre-filter(AKA expensive pantyhose)
- Cartridge style Airfilter cut into lid.

Now in dealing with HVAC, a 6" roun d hole will carry more CFM(or volume) Than a 6" equivilant square or rectangle.
I'm throwing that idea out the window, and I'd like to know what you have found to be the best setup for you.

My quads:
Red one has one big hole with and Outerwares and runs great plenty of power.
Yellow one has the 1" holes with the little filters runs great. I have yet to actually get it in the upper Rpm range to see how it does up there.
So far it comes down to preference and what kind of stuff you ride.

Here's what I did,one piece filter under the lid;

P4300002.jpg

Works for me...

I used a um racing aibox lid that actualy gos to their air box but it fits ontop the lid fine and id always run a outerwears its more then a expensive pantie hose

i did similar to baddawg but i siliconed the filter to the holes to keep it in place

airbox.jpg

airbox1.jpg

elwoods got the right idea. Less constriction, more air, more power.

this also depends a lot on the conditions u ride in most too.

I think I'm going with the 6 drilled holes, with the Uni Mini Pods, and a sock around the airfilter.

I have elwoods set up and mud it up. You guys also have to think that the air is flowing between the gap of the top of the box and the seat, still a small place. If your runnin the pods, the sock is overkill, especially being thats its a sock.

Good to know. I was thinking of running the sock for just at the sands.

So, filters and a good coating of oil, and I should be Good to Go??
Normally I wouldn't mess with it, but in my current configuration, It seems I am starving for air at W.O.T.

I run mud alot with mine, onlt about bottom of the motor deep with no problems of mud getting in there. The seat stopps the mud from getting in, only thing I have to do is pull the drain after I'm done riding then again after washing it.

a little off subjuct but I was on the UNI site and they have a foam outwares for K&N filter. Don't know how well it works but it's another option.

just run no lid and get a clamp on uni with an outerwares

I've thought of that too.
WAY to many options here. I'm running pretty good now, just think I need to get a little more air to the carb.

I'd prefer to run a lid if possible. I have 2. One is already drilled with about 10 1/8" holes(previous owner). And the other is solid. So, I'm trying to work with what I have with MINIMAL expense. Wife is going to skin me if I spend much more on this "already perfect" bike:iagree:

a little off subjuct but I was on the UNI site and they have a foam outwares for K&N filter. Don't know how well it works but it's another option.

That is a good option too. Specially if your always in the dust. K&N has an issue with dust where as foam seems to trap it jut a but better.

Back