adding lights

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worm1

Reaction score
I'm looking to add some frame mounted lights to operate with the stock ones. Can I just splice into the existing wiring?

Thanks

Yep, just make sure they're not too powerful because that might overload the wires. I'm thinking of adding some frame mounted lights too, they'll turn on when low beams are selected if I do it. Right now I have aftermarket lights and a fairly dim blue light turns on with low beams with the main lights on high beams.

That is my concern about how much can be added to the electrical system / fuse. I'm thinking that these lights would not be more than the stock ones are now. But I will have to check on that.

As for the set up I definitely what them to come on with the light switch no matter if they are on low or high beam.

You won't be able to run much in addition to the stock lights. The stock stator can really only efficiently handle about 100 watts. Just a pair of standard 55 watt lights by themselves really will push the threshold but the stator usually can handle them as long as the battery is good and you aren't riding slow.
But with the stock lights that are approx 35 watts each, you have 30-40 watts to spare. About the only thing that puts you in that window is the trail tech style light system that uses the mr-16 style bulbs. I believe those are available in 15-20 watt versions. How much additional light will those provide? depends on if it's spot or flood, and where you want your additional lights.

The only way i see lower wattage lights like that being worthwhile is if you wanted to combine the short range wide beam of the stock lights with a longer range tight beam, which would give you a pretty good lighting pattern with mr-16 spot bulbs.

If that doesn't make sense let me know and i'll clarify what you don't get... right now i'm freaking freezing, mildly hypothermic i'd say, so i might not be making as much sense as i think i am... and i don't understand what i typed 5 minutes ago. I gotta give up on riding the bike to the pub until the weather gets warm again... goddam i hate the cold.

YamaRider, I totally understand what you're saying. That is basically what I was wanting to know how much wattage could the system handle. I guess it's either the stock or the frame mount.

Dave, thanks for the link

How well does the frame mounts hold up? With my luck, one of them or both would eat a rock or something and leave me in the dark.

I had frame mounted lights similar to the trailtech MR16's for a while, same bulb, just a cheaper steel housing instead of the billet trailtech uses. When you install them on the frame behind the bumper they are a lot more protected from damage than you might think, i never had any problem with mine getting broke, bumped around, bent, or anything like that.

One more option, you can get upgraded bulbs from RM Stator that fit in the stock housings, but are brighter than stock. I had those for a while too, and they worked nice, but they definitely weren't as bright as mr16's. (i ran 50 watt spot bulbs in my mr16's so it could just about burn paint off the quad in front of me)

a stock stator can barely hold two 55w lights, but what if you have an aftermarket stator? ive got an RM stator that puts out the same amount of the stock one but do you think that its stronger than the stock one? ive got two PIAA lights with 55w bulbs and i run one each for high and low beam

55 watt PIAAs only draw about 35watts..

the rating on the lights are usualy a "Equivelent of" wattage for noraml lights.

If You want high light output for low wattage/amperage, then the best way to go is LED.

check out the VisionX (I think)

Do a search for Xmitter lights. that'll get ya in the right place.. lol

many different styles, sizes etc etc. But theres all the lighting info you would need to see.

We put a (I think) a 36" one on my bosses 2009 chev.

It completely drowns out the headlights and all. Go blind looking at the thing in daytime.. lol

but you can get em smaller or bigger, double or single row etc.

you should be able to go on there and think "I want to use 70-80 watts for my lights." then go down the lists n all and compare n find the lights you want..

Here, showing the lil solstice lights...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WlcUG-TQHw&feature=player_embedded#!

And here.. compares PIAA Extream White PLUS with the lil 10watt solstic light.. freeking amazing!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipT6eS_G1SM&feature=related

I wanna get like 6 or 8 of those lil lights!!! 60-80 watts draw.. massive lights!!!

the visionX site:
http://www.visionxonly.com/light-bars.html?gclid=CNqKlML8kaMCFRofswodHFHZqg

OOOOooo!! the helmat mount for those lil lights.. hehe

Last edited:
Back