99 warrior trouble

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whats a better cam

• hot cam

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • megacycles

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

bigjim

Reaction score
first off i would like to say hi, im new to all this. I am building a 99 warrior i have put in a megacycle cam .450 i have bored it .040 over just woundering what i should do to the carb if anything i cant get it to run right im sure it carb ajustment im not getting it right carb is rebuild

i have alot of stock 88-89 parts that i would like to sell as well and a complete engine thats bored .020

well, first off i think that cam is too big. IIRC you should change the valve springs from stock to heavy duty for that cam, but without knowing your engines complete setup, other than .40 over, it's going to be difficult for us to help you.

i see in your sig that you have a 10.25:1 piston with the megacyle .450 cam. do you in fact have HD springs?

yes cam, springs, piston and gasket it was all one kit. the guy i got it from told me he was setting it up for flat track racing and did'nt have time to mess with it anymore so sold it to me

i just went out and started it and it fired right up. pops loud when rev. it seems to smoke right when i start it then after couple sec. the smoke goes away smells like its running very rich.

i have been thinking that the cam was to big. i ran it for about 2 hours around the yard last sunday trying to set air screw set right and used 3/4 of a tank so would i be ok to put the stock cam back in it and would i have to use stock spring too

You don't need the stock springs with the stock cam. You just need to get that carb tuned right. That cam is on the big side for the stock stroke on that engine. I'm using that same cam in my stroker engine, once I get it together. You'd probably be best to go with a stage1 hotcam, especially with that stock carb.

I have almost the same setup as you. 99 warrior, .040 over, 10.25:1,no airbox lid, G-YTR(same as K & N) air filter, DG full exhaust and stock carb except for the jets. I run a stage one hot cam with stock springs and it runs great. I would look at the rpm range that most of your riding is in ie. mx, trail, dunes or whatever and set it up for that. the cam you have is a higher rpm cam ie. flat track racing. if you are trail riding the stage one cam is perfect bc it boosts the low rpm power or torgue. Just my .02.

Back