88 Warrior sputtering and backfiring through gears

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedypedro

Reaction score
Good evening everyone.

I've put about 8 hours in to my quad today trying to figure out why it idles good but sputters and backfires once the RPMs start increasing. Here is what I've done since I bought the quad a few months ago:

1. removed parking brake and replaced with shield. Totally removed the parking brake cable and wire.
2. Removed the clutch perch and replaced with aftermarket along with raptor clutch cable mod. Plugged the black and black/yellow connectors together under the hood. I also tried unplugging the 2 wires and would not fire (so I knew I had the correct ones).
3. new sprockets and chain
4. went over most of the wiring. Found a few lose connections and dealt with. I found the nuetral sensor was bad - screw broke off. I drilled a hole through the tip and soldered a wire through it temporarily until the new one arrives (picture with odd red wire).
5. Rebuilt the reverse lever (took apart and cleaned / anti-seize). Redid the ground. Light works so assuming the reverse switch is not bad.
6. Checked the timing - "T" in window and "line" on the cam gear lines up with the nub.
7. fixed exhaust leak at the slip on joint.
8. Rebuilt carb with Shindy kit. Have not fully adjusted but fired right up although idles a little high. I thought this might be the issue because the carb was filthy. I can tell it sounds better - but still the same sputtering / backfiring.
9. I put a new light on since the regular lights were smashed. I wired the low and high beams to the same light (just in case I hit the switch up too far)
10. Airbox came this way - missing a piece and some weird rubber piece attached to limit air flow.

I'm at a loss right now. I was going to check valve clearance next but I don't think it would idle good if valve clearance was off.

I have spent a number of hours reading threads for answers. Most of what I have tried came from this forum and BlueTrax. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time in advanced.

Last edited:
Back