87 warrior no spark. CDI?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mototrig

Reaction score
Hi all.
New member here chasing a no spark issue. The motor cranks fine.

Is there any ohms specs for checking if the CDI is working properly? Apparently the 87 is electrically different than 88 and newer? CDI's for the 87 are very hard to find and pricey, mostly used on ebay. Before I spend the money I wanted to make certain if possible.

I've followed my service manual. The spark plug, coil/cap, pickup coil, source coil & magneto all OHM within spec. The manual does not have specs for the CDI. I've also checked the harness for any broken wires or bad connectors which there are none. If I've missed anything please let me know.

Short description is I bought it for my son & it ran fine. We took the plastics off to clean it up a bit, nothing electrical was replaced other than the starter motor. Plastics back on, new seat and all cleaned up, no spark. We have been chasing this for several weeks now, any input or specs on the CDI would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
87 is one of the models that HAS to have a genuine OEM ignition switch as there is NO aftermarket that will work. The Black/Red wire to the CDI has to be grounded to turn the spark on. I have new CDIs for this model it that turns out to be the problem.

87 is one of the models that HAS to have a genuine OEM ignition switch as there is NO aftermarket that will work. The Black/Red wire to the CDI has to be grounded to turn the spark on. I have new CDIs for this model it that turns out to be the problem.
Thank you for the information, much appreciated.

I went through the switch again and found the problem!!!!!

The Black/Red terminal was push out not making contact in the connector.

Wouldn't have checked it again without your input.
Thank you sir!!

Latest posts

Back