87 vs 2000 warrior

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth6025

Reaction score
Just wondering what all is different between the years. This is the situation. I have a 1987 that is running but breaks don't work and shocks are crap and is smoking. I am taking the motor out to do the rings and stuff this weekend. I have the option to buy a 2000 350 warrior complete but no motor. Wonding if I should get it to put my motor in or just for parts? Is allot of the stuff the same for switching parts over? Or is there a big difference where I would be better off with the newer frame because something is a whole lot better in the newer years? Will the motors swap?

Thanks for any info. He wants 300 for the bike with no motor but I was thinking maybe 200 tops would be worth it? What do you guys think. I just bought the 87 2 weeks ago

the only big diff is the electronics are way different and the a arms and front suspension mounts are different, other than that they are the same as far as i know

So if the electronics are different I wonder if I would be able to put the older motor in the newer frame?

you can, it will all bolt up perfect, but you will need a new style stator cover and stator to make the new model electronics work on the older motor

i could be wrong but i believe the 1st gen brakes are different too?????

Great Thanks for the info. So any stator and cover from say 2000 and up will bolt up to my motor?

Just the rear rotor.. The caliper is the same, but of course the mount is different as well as the carrier.

The rear rotor is way smaller on the 1st gens.

really? i only know from looking for brake pads last week, the first gen had regular car style pads, and mine has the square style, i think just the fronts were different, but like i said, i only noticed it from ebay ads and pictures

I say save the 1st gen! I hate to see them lay by the wayside. Differences are to the a arms and their mounts. 2nd gen arms will not work and vice versa. Front shocks are .5" shorter on 1st gens, and the swinger is 1" longer. Carriers are different, but will interchange. There is the difference in the brake rotor, which has been mentioned. The sprocket hub is different on 1st gens. The electronics were only made for 2 years, and you cannot get an aftermarket cdi for them. They had they best looking headlights, imo. And they had pull start. 87's had a bushing for the steering stem onstead of the bearing, and they were the only year to have replacable balljoints.

You can do more with the 2nd gen in terms of the suspension, and electronics. You will not only need the later model stator, but the flywheel as well.

SAVE THE FIRST GEN!!!!! it is definitely more worth it; better looking lights, replicable ball joints, and the coolness of a first gen!:iagree:

If the parts bike came with a title 300 is good... I tend to use lack of title as a negotiation point, but yet again i got mine for 100 with a f'd motor and a couple other bad things.. I still think 300 is a fair price. I've never owned a 1st gen warrior (My 2002 is the best of my three warriors), but I'd try to save it if possible. Good luck!

I love my 1st gen but yes they are different. The frame is completely different. The front bumper mounts are in a different spot. The brakes are different. As is the electronics.
I had a hell of a time getting a rear bearing carrier to fit the very small rear rotor and I actually had RAD custom make me one which I had to send them my original to take measurements from. The headlight and headlight mounts on the frame are different. So as a parts bike as everyone has said would not yield you many usable parts. 90-04 warriors are much more interchangeable then the 87-89's.

Well I decided to stay with the 1st gen. Got the motor apart puting new piston and rings in it now. Need to find a air box for it as the one on it is melted all to S*** because of the after market exhaust the guy had on it. It is already bored .50 over so I just cleaned up the cylinder and staying with that size. There does seem to be a tiny bit of play in the crank bearings but I am hoping it will be alright. Don't really want to get into the bottom end. Also if anyone has a set of lights for this thing let me know. Thanks

Glad to hear it! Another 1st gen will ride again! Is the crank play up and down, or side to side? Side to side is usual, and unless it is excessive, it will be fine. It's the up and down that you don't want. Pour some lucas oil on the crank while the top end is off, just for good measure. Was the cylinder in good shape for a rehone? I have an extra air box, with slightly modded lid and filter, plus the intake snorkle. Am using the intake tube to carb right now. Check ebay for the headlights, every now and then you'll find them at a good price. What color is your bike? Mine is white/red but I could only get black headlights, so if yours is black/red and you find white headlights, I'd be willing to trade the light fixtures for what you get.

The play is up and down but just a little bit. I hope it will be ok for awhile. I was thinking of trying a little lucas but was not sure if it would be a good idea or not and not sure how much to use. Mine is the black and red one and the frame was painted blue. I will check out ebay. If I find some lights I will let ya know

The play is up and down but just a little bit. I hope it will be ok for awhile. I was thinking of trying a little lucas but was not sure if it would be a good idea or not and not sure how much to use. Mine is the black and red one and the frame was painted blue. I will check out ebay. If I find some lights I will let ya know

Just leave the drain plug out, pour some on the crank and rod, grab the rod and hold the timing chain, and spin it over buy hand, using the rod. Let all the excess oil drain out and into a pan. I usually our a quart of oil through the crankcase when the top end is off, to clean it out and give a little prelube to it. As for running the lucas in the oil, only use a few ounces, like 2 or 3. The bottle says to use 20% of the oiling systems capacity. So a 5 quart system will take 4 quarts of engine oil, and 1 quart of lucas. You can see where the ratio is going with this, right? I only count to maybe 3 when I pour, and our it slowly. It's close enough for me. Lol.

Back