86' 80cc, Moto 4 questions?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathius

Reaction score
It is the same basic chassis as the 2002-2008 Raptor 80. The chassis had not changed since 1985. You can add 4th gear using the shift drum and gear set from a Champ 100 which are getting hard to find. My son has a 2002 Raptor 80 and we have modded it quite a lot. They run good, but don't have a lot of torque. They get around great on hard pack but are terrible in the sand.

It is the same basic chassis as the 2002-2008 Raptor 80. The chassis had not changed since 1985. You can add 4th gear using the shift drum and gear set from a Champ 100 which are getting hard to find. My son has a 2002 Raptor 80 and we have modded it quite a lot. They run good, but don't have a lot of torque. They get around great on hard pack but are terrible in the sand.

How about mud, rocky terrain, and hills? I just want him to have some fun, but it would have to have enuf power to pull itself up a hill.

I own a yfm 100 champ from 87 lol and let me tell ya that little thing will pull wheelies with me on it and we only gave 200 for ours but it need a battery, tires, and a good carb cleanin

The only kids quads I can find around here under $700, are fricken chinese junk!
I also think that little 80 looks pretty clean. But I would have to wonder how hard it would be to find parts for it?

Well there are some nice older quads around here in that $500 range. But their all to big for my son. He would kill himself on anything bigger than a 100cc.

That being said.. What all can you do to the YFM80's as far as mods? Could I use the exhaust off of a newer Raptor 80 on that old moto4???
What else could I do to it?

How about mud, rocky terrain, and hills? I just want him to have some fun, but it would have to have enuf power to pull itself up a hill.

They have enough power to pull themselves around. Just not a great amount of torque to get going easily on sand. Ours did ok at Waynoka, just some spots we had to help it along. Once he got a run it did ok. As for hills and mud, my by has done both and it will do it. There have been a few hills he was scared to try so I would get on with him and it pulled us both up fine. With 4th gear in ours it will do 40 MPH with me on it on flat pavement. As for parts, engine and chassis parts are available. Body parts might be tough. I doubt you can buy those plastics any more.

Well there are some nice older quads around here in that $500 range. But their all to big for my son. He would kill himself on anything bigger than a 100cc.

That being said.. What all can you do to the YFM80's as far as mods? Could I use the exhaust off of a newer Raptor 80 on that old moto4???
What else could I do to it?

Not a lot of mods, but there are a few things. I don't know if the Raptor exhaust would work or not. I bought an FMF pipe for ours. Cost me $179 and looking back, what a waste. They offer a 3 mm over big bore piston which makes them 90 cc. We did that as well. Looking back on ours, I would have been better off to save all that mod money I spent and kept it stock.

Last edited:
My brother in law has a Polaris 90 and it works very well. The Suzuki is a great all around machine and I have seen them at the dunes with paddles and people say they get around good in any terrain.

Latest posts

Back